which ironically is just as polluting when you look into it

#2 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

So I'm reading that as even if you buy a new car in the low brackets, say £25, the second year onwards you pay £140? Likewise something like Scirocco would be £200 for the first but then drop to £140, same as someone with a VW UP! if they are both brand new? Odd.

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

I always thought the way the car tax dropped on low co2 cars (£20 at the moment ) , they would have to claw back some money

from what I see , I pay £20 for my car per year (998cc 107g per km)

if I buy a new equivalent , it would be £100 after first year ?

so 5 times the amount of tax ?

not sure I'm reading it right

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

I'm sure the manufacturers are going to love what it will do to sales of cars just over £40k too (not that I would be looking to buy one!!)

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

Perhaps they're targeting air quality in London and other cities? It does seem like a lot of fuddling, who actually pays their first year's road tax for it to have an impact set against total cost of a new car? The worst polluters, old big luxury cars, will get the biggest reduction. Watch out for increases in Mileage Allowance Payments from the tax man to negate any impact on the government's chums.

#6 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head on that one.

So as long as the vehicle doesn't cost more than £40K...

...a petrol or diesel car pumping out 255+ CO2, costs £2K in the first year then bonus time, it drops to £140 for the 2nd year on.

...a petrol or diesel car pumping out zero CO2, costs £0 in the first year then cut the wife's allowance as it jumps to £140 for the 2nd year on.

Given that the first year of road tax (sorry, not road tax, vehicle tax, as I'm told by my cycling friends), is included in the price, anyone buying a polluting monster still only pays £140 when they come to tax it from year two on.

It makes sense...to someone I'm sure.

Edited by Its a min, 08 December 2016 - 02:44 AM.

#7 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

That's utterly ridiculous. Far too complex. Not to mention the £40k+ cars having an additional tax of £1550!! Just an opportunity for another tax fiddle somewhere down the line for those that know how to play the system.

#8 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

I'm against the grain a little here. I feel that electric cars still cause wear to the rd. the electric is generated from sources that most often cause pollution. Electric cars should NOT have access to roads tax free.

Electric cars are a long way from actually being environmentally friendly. Battery production - huge shipping channels and mining operations required for the power technology. The electric cars themselves are far from clean to produce as are any cars - plastic production etc etc

In the UK, All these cars do is shift the pollution from city centres (London) where the rich live and to the power stations where the pollution can fill the lungs of the masses.
We're a long way from shutting down coal and gas power stations and relying on cleaner energy.... a very very long way.

In my opinion electric cars aren't the future anyway. At least with batteries and generation of power from plants.

Batteries in these electric cars don't last the life of the car either. More pollution.

I'll stick with running my mini before I get a Prius!

#9 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:53 PM

I'm against the grain a little here. I feel that electric cars still cause wear to the rd. the electric is generated from sources that most often cause pollution. Electric cars should NOT have access to roads tax free.

Electric cars are a long way from actually being environmentally friendly. Battery production - huge shipping channels and mining operations required for the power technology. The electric cars themselves are far from clean to produce as are any cars - plastic production etc etc

In the UK, All these cars do is shift the pollution from city centres (London) where the rich live and to the power stations where the pollution can fill the lungs of the masses.
We're a long way from shutting down coal and gas power stations and relying on cleaner energy.... a very very long way.

In my opinion electric cars aren't the future anyway. At least with batteries and generation of power from plants.

Batteries in these electric cars don't last the life of the car either. More pollution.

I'll stick with running my mini before I get a Prius!

Come on...would you really consider a Prius???  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users