1 reply to this topic

#1 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

I have recently found that the steering column has play at the top and bottom on my 1989 mini. I have ordered both upper and lower bush and just wondered what the process of fitting these parts is and whether or not it is a big job or quite easy?

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

I assume you have read the Haynes manual or the proper Rover manual carefully? If not, now is the time to do so. Then, and only then, can you tell whether it is easy or difficult for yourself. What may be easy for you could be very hard for me and vice versa. Personally, I would call this job a load of aggro, which I would not enjoy, but not technically or physically really difficult, just a bit tedious. For guidance, I call replacing a cylinder head gasket easy, or replacing a brake or clutch pedal clevis pin almost impossibly difficult. This is more awkward but not technically harder than a cylinder head gasket, but nowhere near as hard as a clutch swap. I hope that gives you some sort of feel for the level of difficulty.

Oh, and you will be needing to undo the steering column upper mount which should have a shear-head bolt, which will need to be drilled or cut and replaced. Also, every time you disturb the column I strongly recommend checking the spline and realigning the rack, a very quick job which ensures safety, and replacing the pinch bolt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, electrical, suspension, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users