39 replies to this topic

#16 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

I also have his autobiography but I haven't read it yet (only had it since my birthday in February)

Im a big fan of his, I hope he breaks the record too, but avg 250 miles a day is a tall order....

Would like to find a timetable/itinerary for when he's around near me in the North West, most likely have to pay my sister a visit in Blackpool if he gets round that way....

I downloaded the EBook on a Friday and read it every evening till I finished it, I couldn't put it down,  I'm now seriously considering reading another he has written.

#17 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

Anyone know which is the best book he's written?
Think I might buy myself a Christmas present.

#18 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

His second one is epic, first one is a good read though.

Not got his latest one yet though!

#19 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:37 PM

His second one is epic, first one is a good read though.

Not got his latest one yet though!

That's my Christmas book sorted then, cheers Alexmozza

#20 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

Still no news of Guy's whereabouts.
I didn't realise the reason he didn't race at the TT this year was that he was taking part in another super-long push bike event:

“Guy has completed the 2016 Tour Divide in 18 days & 6 hours – describing it as ‘the toughest thing I’ve ever done – bloody brilliant. 2,712 miles, 185,000ft climbing, brtual”

#21 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

Guy:

"Well it’s not gone quite to plan.

"I"ve cycled over 11,000 miles this year, including the Tour Divide in America, to and from work most days and I spent three weeks in China in October, back for a few days at work, straight to New Zealand for ten days racing motorbikes, back for a few days at work and then off.

"I badly pulled my achilles tendon on the left side after a day or so but thought I'd just get my head down and work through it. I kept good miles up and got to John O’Groats from Grimsby in 4 days and 8 hours, about 800 miles. But my leg was getting worse and I thought I could keep going and maybe do the whole lot in 30 days but I knew I'd be jiggered for a long time after and maybe even have serious long term damage, which would mean I couldn’t do the serious cycle trip I've got in my head for next year.

So I've put my push bike back in the shed for the rest of the year, giving my leg a chance to recover. I'm back at work and I realise I need to listen to my body more. By just manning up I was papering over the cracks. Thanks very much for the support, loads of folk wishing me well and that was mega.

"It is what it is and like I said ‘Ive got to stop it before it stops me’ and it did stop me."

#GuyMartin

Photos: www.guymartinproper.com

#22 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

What a shame but still an impressive achievement. Makes me laugh how he still regards his lorry business as his work and everything else is some sort of gallivant.

I wonder what his 'serious' trip for next year will be. I cant help hoping he'll be back at the TT.

#23 Richard_

Richard_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

Watched  last night : 'Guy Martin's Spitfire' What a great programme.

If you have ever installed a subframe on  Mini, have a look at the team at Duxford attaching the engine frame , wings and propeller on a Spitfire!

Its available on Channel 4's catchup service. I got it via Amazon fire but there are probably other routes.

#24 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Is there anything with him in over Christmas?

#25 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

His recent round Britain cycle ride is supposed to be on over Christmas. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned this from earlier in the year... http://www.channel4....emand/64032-001

#26 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

I hope the 2016 Tour Divide was filmed.

#27 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

Tour Divide wasn't, he wanted to do it for himself, he even registered himself under another name to reduce the press interest.

#28 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

Been a fan for years, anybody who works on Scania's for a living knows his onions and to combine that with hanging on a bike at 200MPH plus on real roads just adds to it.

Book wise you will not be disappointed in any of them, the 2nd to last deals with his more recent stuff, my fav was probably his 1st.

He reminds me of a bit like a modern Fred Dibnah - making the complicated seem fun and trying to get people interested in how great the UK were and still are at engineering. 

#29 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

I'm a big Guy Martin fan. Got his new book for Xmas so will be reading that soon.
Channel 4 had some short 15/20 mins programmes and featured his Spitfire engine. I love the story how he decided to rev it up in his bosses workshop and it shot across the workshop leaving a trail of destruction. Proper job

Edited by jamesmpi, 25 December 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#30 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

Been a fan for years, anybody who works on Scania's for a living knows his onions and to combine that with hanging on a bike at 200MPH plus on real roads just adds to it.

Book wise you will not be disappointed in any of them, the 2nd to last deals with his more recent stuff, my fav was probably his 1st.

He reminds me of a bit like a modern Fred Dibnah - making the complicated seem fun and trying to get people interested in how great the UK were and still are at engineering. 

Yeah I thought of Fred Dibnah as well, totally agree with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users