#1 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:51 PM

Evening all

I wanted to share the first public picture of my new watch that I've been working on for a few months. This is my first watch build and something I hope to turn into a business, assuming people like what I make and are willing to pay for one :-)

All the parts were sourced, modified and assembled by me. The dial is custom. I created the artwork, milled the brass dial on my cnc and created what you see now.

For those interested in watches. It uses a mechanical automatic movement. It has an exhibition case back and the case is 316 stainless steel.

And here it is:

IMAG0763_1.jpg

I hope you all like it.

Luke

#2 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

Hey Luke,

Would you be able to personalise these such as engraving either on the face or the back?

Cheers

Neal

#3 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

Luke, do you have an online store presence, and what do you estimate the sale price to be?

#4 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:43 AM

What if you actually copied the speedo? 10 - 90 with your name 'hurst' in the same style as the mileage counter, with the 'T' being in yellow.

It doesn't matter that you omit the clock numbers, as many watches do this anyway. An exact copy would be a real inpiration to the mini speedo.

Just my pennies worth, but still a lovely watch.

#5 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting any so quickly.

Neal & Magneto - I'm working on getting into a position to be able to sell these. A website is under construction and I'm also thinking of a kickstarter campaign. I only finished this one yesterday so I'm getting slightly ahead of myself if I try to sell one straight away.

Price will be determined by materials and some modest profit to make it worthwhile. I'm also think of a cheaper quartz version so all have an opportunity to buy one. The mechanical movements are expensive £70-90 each! Abd that's still leaves case, dial, strap, buckle packaging, etc.

Luke

#6 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

B_sdaddy

All good suggestions. I might give them a go in Inkscape (what I used to design the dial).

I tried not to copy the speedo too much as there a few watches around that do similar things. One guy has copyright on the "Smiths" logo for use on timepieces also.

The numbering was a challenge. I thought about 05-60 but that's not in keeping with the Mini. 10-120 seemed to fit better and 120 is a number most of us wish our minis could reach :-)

Luke

#7 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

A couple more pics and short video showing the movement sweep.

IMAG0764.jpg

Engraved clasp

IMAG0765.jpg

https://youtu.be/OweOI9g5m1c

Luke

#8 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

Really beautiful watch, love it :mrcool:

#9 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

wow!

#10 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

Nice work. Really liking that. I also like b_sdaddy's suggestions.

#11 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'm struggling to remember how many hours I have spent on research, prototyping, sourcing components, learning CAD/CAM and building my CNC mill to make this happen. Getting approval from the Mini community is the ultimate achievement in my book! :-)

Luke.

#12 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

That looks very nice, what are you machining it on?

#13 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

Benm - I'm only making small alterations to the case and fully machining the dial plus the engraving. I'm using a proxxon mf70 mini mill I've converted to CNC and using Fusion360 for CAD/CAM then LinuxCNC as the controller.

On my wish list is a more capable mill so I can eventually machine my own cases.

#14 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

Luckily for me I have one of these watches and I wish to congratulate Luke for his hard work making it.

Every thing about it just screams quality:

The stainless steel watch body is beautifully made, delicate but sturdy and highly polished, the face is clear, crisp with excellent movement and the hands are also hand crafted.

I wanted my watch to celebrate my restoration project and asked Luke if it would be possible to engrave the back of the watch and the clasp and it's first class!

On the back, the limited edition number is present engraved into brass inlayed into the watch back, I have 02/79.

I wanted a black leather strap (various colours are available) and was surprised that highly polished stainless locking clasp is integrated with the leather strap (Luke can you put some photos up to explain this as seeing is believing and my explanation doesn't do it justice) Luke also supplied me with a spare battery and a standard clasp as well but I prefer the clasp/ leather strap combination as this feels more secure, it stops the strap from wearing out and really adds that quality feel and look.

I've worn it many times and it befits casual and formal occasions, it's not over the top but an understated classy piece of engineering and has been commented by all, some of which collect watches as a hobby and they all love it.

Luke's professionalism is first class and his customer service is second to none, don't get me wrong you can buy a real nice watch from a shop, but the personal service of a bespoke hand crafted limited edition watch is something else.

Many thanks

Neal

#15 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Well how do I follow up a post like that!

It was a pleasure to have the privilege of making a watch for Neal and being a small part of his restoration.

It's good to hear it has been well received and it's getting used.

I will post up some pictures of the clasp if I have one without the engraving on show.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Luke

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users