#1 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

I am sure this has come up multiple times but i can't seem to fine what I am looking for.

So with the conversion in mind am i right in thinking that to do the conversion,panel wise you would need mk1 mini inner A panels and mk1 mini outer A panels and obviously the hinges hinge wise i am looking at using the DSN external hinges.

I am looking at doing the conversion with carbon fibre doors from arc angels so the overall weight should roughly be around 3/4Kg per door (hopefully) so the weight of the doors shouldn't be a problem!

Are there any other panels/parts needed for this conversion or will it be the mk1 mini inner and outer A panels and dsn hinges?

Regards

Alex

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Alex,

Be aware that the doors are a completely different shape on internal-hinge doors. They are taller and a different shape at the B-post with rounded bottom corners.

However, if you are using composite doors it may not be a problem so long as you do the hinges as Mk.1 with the necessary A-panel inner & outer, then adapt the CF door to take the external hinges whilst retaining the remaining profile as the MK.3 onwards doors.

Are you going to fit sliding windows? If so the window aperture will need to be different from a Mk.3.

#3 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:03 PM

Yeah I have looked into the doors and understand that they are different. I'm essentially using a mk3 shell with mk3 arc angel carbon fibre street wise doors as these have the sliding windows included in the kit. I want the external hinges as I feel that these look better

#4 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

So panel wise I would just need to order the inner and outer panels

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

I'm not absolutely sure as I only have a couple of Mk.1's at present and have no Mk.3 to compare to. I think the best thing would be toget the Mk.1 inner & outer A-panels and do a trial-fit to see if that works. I think that's all you need.

That sounds like a nice mod and it will be easier to set the door fitting with the original ext. hinges. The CF doors sound ideal with the sliding windows already provided for . I am guessing you'll use polycarbonate windows all round (except the screen of course).

Have you thought about grafting a small rounded door aperture section in at the lower rear of the door aperture to create the rounded door shape? It should be relatively easy - nice bit of welding!

#6 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

I'll order the a panels and hinges then! Hopefully that is all I will need then. I haven't considered doing the rounded corner bit as I'm just doing this as it's lightweight saving idea! Have you got a picture of what you are on about?

#7 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:38 AM

Converting a MK3 on door to external hinges was covered in Jan 2006 Mini Magazine.

http://www.ebay.co.u...rwAAOSwXeJYFEoz

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

The lower corners of Mk1 & Mk2 doors are rounded whilst Mk3 onwards have square corners. The Mk1 A-panel has a rounded profile so the front lower corner of your new door will need to be shaped to match.
You could make the rear lower corner match by welding in a small piece of Mk1 door aperture panel into the corner. But you don"t have to. Would it look a bit odd with a rounded front corner and a square back corner? You can decide.

#9 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

I have ordered the magazine above so hopefully I will be able to see what is needed to be done!
I will then try and scan the guide on how to do so for others if they want to do the conversion also

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

I doubt you'd even need to change the a panels - just fabricate some support from the flitch to the hinge holes.

#11 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

I think... you could probably do it by cutting the support brackets for the hinge from the inner panel and spotting them into the car as is, lots of mk1/2's ran around for years with no inner a panels and fabbed up brackets. Mine had part of a gate (i think) on the passenger side. 

#12 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

I am sure this has come up multiple times but i can't seem to fine what I am looking for.

So with the conversion in mind am i right in thinking that to do the conversion,panel wise you would need mk1 mini inner A panels and mk1 mini outer A panels and obviously the hinges hinge wise i am looking at using the DSN external hinges.

I am looking at doing the conversion with carbon fibre doors from arc angels so the overall weight should roughly be around 3/4Kg per door (hopefully) so the weight of the doors shouldn't be a problem!

Are there any other panels/parts needed for this conversion or will it be the mk1 mini inner and outer A panels and dsn hinges?

Regards

Alex

I have a 1960 and they didn't originally put an  internal a panel panel on.  They are in such good shape I have no reason to change them.  I will say the steel seem more solid, but it as pretty much the same thickness.  If you are going to carbon fibre doors acould you just put reinforcement brackets behind the mk3 apanels for the hinges and stiffen up the apanel a bit(maybe overkill) This would be similar to the early mk1.  To use mk1 doors, like many said, the rear quarter is different as is the frame of the door.

20161216_133107_zpsajt1c01g.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users