34 replies to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

A few weeks back I bought a 2006 Honda Civic Mk8 2.2 diesel. It's a nice enough car and comes with a couple of nice bits like heated leather seats and panoramic roof. It's a nice car. But it's.... dull. I mean it's quicker than the Focus it replaced, it's not bad on fuel etc but it doesn't have any character. With it being so modern it has a DMF I believe and the idea of having a huge bill for that doesn't excite me too much I have to be honest. Plus it has a full Honda Service History as well - something I wouldn't continue with. I'm thinking of cashing in, recovering my money and putting it into something older but more fun. Life is too short to drive a boring car.

So I'm after some ideas. I need something that costs no more than 2.5k although cheaper would be preferred. Something fun to drive, something that's really quite simple that I can do all the work myself without computers etc. Ideally I'd love something from the 80s but SWMBO doesn't like much from that era. She does like VW Beetles though!! I'd like something safe as well for the little one, and I know modern safety standards are much better than from the 80s. I was thinking a giant Volvo estate but that got a big fat no!! I can't afford to just have a second car either at the moment.

So any ideas, or I am just hoping more than anything? I'm not fussed on body shape although I prefer hatchbacks /estates to saloons. I'd like a Mk2 Golf but that was also a no 😂

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

Saab 900

#3 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

I do quite like those but I highly doubt the missus will like the shape too much!

Update: I was right. Horrible! was all that got said.

Edited by Black.Ghost, 16 December 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#4 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

How about one of the older civics? The saloon/ 4 door variants are a bit less boy racer than the hatchbacks are, they go on forever and parts are cheap.

I just bought a 4th generation saloon not too dissimilar to the pic below (not quite as nice yet though).

824590_orig.jpg

#5 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

I've just bought mk2 golf with 11k on clock so much fun 40 mpg, renewed all rear bushes £80 and it feels like your involved in driving it.or yes 140£ fully comp.wife prefers it to the 30k BMW it replaced .or my pride and joy Honda Accord type r cheap as chips now.Fantastic and practical

#6 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

E30 BMW saloon or estate (estates look awesome) 

#7 DJS911

DJS911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

MG B GT?

#8 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

I like the BMW E30 idea but there's a lot out there still. It's an option though.

Although we can't afford two cars at the moment the missus might be back to work in September. At that point I might split the Honda in 2; get a Mk1 Focus as the familycar and a nice retro runaround for me. I'm liking that idea a lot.

#9 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

How about one of the older civics? The saloon/ 4 door variants are a bit less boy racer than the hatchbacks are, they go on forever and parts are cheap.
I just bought a 4th generation saloon not too dissimilar to the pic below (not quite as nice yet though).
824590_orig.jpg

I too have a 4th Gen Sedan. They're so awesome and look retro cool too! Mine is still standard as I've only had it a month or so, but it still gets attention like old minis do!

Good choice in car my friend :D

Edited by megamini_jb, 22 December 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#10 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

That's the best colour too in that pic :P what colour you got?

#11 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

MG ZT-T ,V8 obviously :-)

Edited by CityEPete, 16 December 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#12 Wills21

Wills21

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

E36 touring all day! I regret selling this so much!

IMAG0579_zpsph6jy36p.jpg

#13 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Mgzr 5dr can be had for peanuts and the vvc really does shift and handle well. Head gaskets do go even ones that have been sorted but they are pretty easy to do.

#14 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

That BMW is a bit of a beauty actually. I'd like the V8 ZT-T, but not at the crazy money they go for. As for the ZR, I've had a couple of R25s before, dong really want to go down that route again.

#15 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

One from left field - as I still drive one - they're great.... and the brand has latterly undeserved reputation for unreliability - if all jobs are kept on top of and main dealers avoided like the plague (without exception utterly useless) they're distinctive , practical, economical, very well equipped  and exciting to drive....... - I'm talking one of these!......

http://www.ebay.co.u...eYAAOSw-jhUCiUB

No wasn't my first choice either - but have learned to absolutely love it - and will keep mine going for as long as I can while waiting on a 159 to replace it.....

Quick edit - Turbo diesel and manual being the only recommended option!!!!

Edited by wile e coyote, 18 December 2016 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users