34 replies to this topic

#16 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

One from left field - as I still drive one - they're great.... and the brand has latterly undeserved reputation for unreliability - if all jobs are kept on top of and main dealers avoided like the plague (without exception utterly useless) they're distinctive , practical, economical, very well equipped  and exciting to drive....... - I'm talking one of these!......

http://www.ebay.co.u...eYAAOSw-jhUCiUB

No wasn't my first choice either - but have learned to absolutely love it - and will keep mine going for as long as I can while waiting on a 159 to replace it.....

Quick edit - Turbo diesel and manual being the only recommended option!!!!

I was looking at these not 2 hours ago thinking that i would like to get one!

Great looking cars

#17 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

Do a Shifty and get yourself the Rover 75 Connoisseur, caravan is optional :D

photo4.jpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612170680869?make=rover&model=75&logcode=p

#18 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

One from left field - as I still drive one - they're great.... and the brand has latterly undeserved reputation for unreliability - if all jobs are kept on top of and main dealers avoided like the plague (without exception utterly useless) they're distinctive , practical, economical, very well equipped  and exciting to drive....... - I'm talking one of these!......

http://www.ebay.co.u...eYAAOSw-jhUCiUB

No wasn't my first choice either - but have learned to absolutely love it - and will keep mine going for as long as I can while waiting on a 159 to replace it.....

Quick edit - Turbo diesel and manual being the only recommended option!!!!

I was looking at these not 2 hours ago thinking that i would like to get one!

Great looking cars

Go for it! For a small estate with plenty of power that can be picked up for peanuts they're fantastic - I've done 60K in mine and it hasn't missed a beat and happily averages 50 mpg - goes through bulbs and front suspension droplinks readily..... that said engine is torquey and oil tight, parts readily available and reasonable too........ 

Unfortunately mine is turismo spec without the dead cow everywhere (the positive there is no massive alloys needing pricey tyres) but that aside love the old beast........ you just have to find one with a recent clutch change (dual mass jobbies - not cheap) and preferably a new cambelt / tensioners and water pump (although its really easy to do yourself)...

The best low price option is the 1.9JTD 8V ..... the 16V munches water pumps and cambelts, but the 2.4 is just lovely.... Personally I'd avoid the petrol engines (unless you're lucky enough to find a GTA ;-) ) and the stupid gearboxes cause endless problem s - manual all the way!!

Really dated now but still good looking IMHO..... the example I posted was jus that - an example - there are plenty of better ones about....

#19 Will47

Will47

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

Saab 900

For cheapness and reliability you can't go wrong with a 900! Luckily my Mrs loves ours, Bought it two years ago for £500 spent about £1000 on MOTs and bits since and it has never let me down in 16,000 miles, the full pressure turbo is quick enough to catch out a lot of modern cars and all at 30MPG! It even has electrically adjustable heated seats, electric windows, sunroof and air conditioning not bad for 1993. My 1991 mini in comparison is well behind the times!

#20 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

audi 80 100 200 vw passatt 405pug sierra granada vauxhall carlton chavalier nissan bluebird

#21 nickadees

nickadees

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

I had a mitsubishi galant only the 2litre one years ago and i loved it, such a smooth drive and went pretty damn well, that front end is lovely aswell.

Attached Files

Edited by nickadees, 23 December 2016 - 05:22 PM.

#22 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

I used to love a Cavalier.

Had 2 mk3's. Nice cars

#23 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

What about an Alfa Romeo 159 estate or a Subaru Impreza Wagon (modify it like the one on MCM) :)  

#24 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

I used to love a Cavalier.

Had 2 mk3's. Nice cars

I had a Mk3 Cavalier GSi 2000 16V for a couple of years in the 1990's (not the 4WD) quick car but rust was becoming an MOT problem when I sold it......now seems to be a very rare car!

Edited by mab01uk, 27 December 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#25 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

That's the best colour too in that pic :P what colour you got?

Mine is Concord Metallic Blue, like the one in the pic. It's a nice colour but i'm having trouble finding paint that matches for a few repairs I need to do! 

Tempted to do black bumpers, sills and door bottoms like the pic just so I don't have to match the colour! 

#26 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

I like the BMW E30 idea but there's a lot out there still. It's an option though.

Although we can't afford two cars at the moment the missus might be back to work in September. At that point I might split the Honda in 2; get a Mk1 Focus as the familycar and a nice retro runaround for me. I'm liking that idea a lot.

So the situation has moved on a bit. Still loving the Civic, but the Mrs is looking at getting her license sorted (she can drive, but not in the UK!).

This leaves us potentially looking at 2 cars, but it will depend. I have also told her that in a few years time (after a house), I want something fast - I never did it when I was younger because the insurance was always ridiculous. 

So I am thinking I have two options now. Firstly, just stick with the Honda for now, make one car work between us, and buy something fast for maybe 5-10k in a few years time. Or, I can source a second car now but look for something that has some serious tuning potential. The SAAB 900 at the start of the thread is making me think though, I have to be honest! If I went for the second option, the car would have to cost no more than £1000 really. In the long run, I'd be looking at a new engine, brakes, suspension etc. and would use the 5k budget for a fast car for it instead. 

#27 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

E36 Touring gets my vote.  Cool, still enough of them around to be able to find a solid one, and if you get a 323 or a 325 they're actually not that sluggish.

#28 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

Yeah I do like the E36. I had a 328 a few years back (Ring Crash??) and it was a decent little car. Something like that is seriously tempting. But I kind of like the idea of going Jap as well after the Honda.

Oh and the E36 further up is flipping lovely.

Edited by Black.Ghost, 14 September 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#29 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

MG ZT-T V6.

#30 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

Ah well, the time has come when we have to make a decision. 

The clutch on the Civic is about to give up. Worse case, with flywheel (DMF) it's £1000 fitted. However, the car is also drooping to one side, so suspension will need looking at. A shock absorber alone is £130. I noticed today that the wing mirror is broken and doesn't stay in place, another £130. We put winter tyres on, and the old tyres were shot, so I need ~£300 for a set of tyres all round (plus potentially wheels to avoid a constant changing of the tyres every 6 months), and the Missus doesn't want to take a risk on second hand wheels after reading about safety issues. It's also due a service, another £120 or so (I'll do this myself, and the wing mirror and possibly suspension although if the clutch gets done, as they have to disconnect it all anyway it's probably more cost effective to get it all done at once). All of this, but the car is currently on 166k miles. If it were 100k or less, I'd get it done. I'm just hesitant to throwing £1600 plus at it, and having no idea what might go next. It seems to still drive well enough. 

So now I have the following options:

1. Fix the Civic and take the hit. Not keen due to mileage. Whats the point where you just give up? Probably should have thought about this a bit more when I bought it. 

2. Sell Civic (We Buy Any Car have quoted £1250, which I'd be happy with providing they don't start looking too in detail!) and buy something circa £2k (risky, plus most things I'd want to drive are high mileage so swapping one for another, which is kind of pointless). 

3. Stretch the budget to 4-5k. There are a few Alfa Giuliettas in that bracket (Veloce models, 1.4 TB Multiair) and other things worth considering. Top end of budget can see reasonably low mileage.

4. PCP or other finance deal on new car. Not too keen for continued monthly payments to be honest. Do like the idea of a brand new car though, and I think you can get some half decent deals for failed deals etc. 

5. Nearly new, but would be on finance. More sensible option than brand new, but PCP deals are limited. 

6. We are also considering moving to London, in which case problem goes away as I just sell and that's it. However, lose NCB after 2 years of no use so not ideal. 

7. Bangernomics (although neither I nor the missus really want something tatty and old, with less than ideal fuel consumption and higher tax).

Thoughts? Safety is an important consideration as well as we have a daughter. Whatever we have, it has to be fun, or extremely comfortable. I can live with either, although I suspect the missus would much prefer the comfort side of things. Low maintenance / monthly running costs are important, reasonably quick and good fuel. The Alfa Giuliettas do seem to fit the bill to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users