26 replies to this topic

#1 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

My recently acquired 1996 Mini is generally "ok" bodywork wise.   Well as ok as 20 year old Minis get.   Any rust seems to be superficial and not widespread although I will be confirming this in the weeks to come and I might need to reassess this view.

When I bought the car I lifted the front carpets to see a more troubling rust spot and since the car was delivered I have ripped out the carpet at the front which was wet and water seems to have accumulated in the heel area and footwell (driver side).   Week one was to ensure the car ran without cutting out and that I had not bought anything accident damaged etc.

I tried to attach pictures but the files are coming up as too large.   Basically the drivers heel panel shows rust particularly around the drainage holes which are currently exposed (the plugs are in my pocket).   I am hoping this is largely cosmetic and will clean up but before I tackle it I would appreciate views.   The two holes are the drainage holes and I have two rust edged plugs.  I have poked hard with a screwdriver and it seems to be solid.    

My first question is am I wasting my time cleaning this up and should I just be getting the rust cut out and a new panel welded / bolted.  I have read about references to "repair panels" but unsure how and when these come into play.

My related question is: what is the black / silver flakes on top of the metal.  Is this body filler that has been disturbed by ripping up the carpet or is it a layer of factory fitted sealant on top of the steel?   The more I pick at the loose bits the more it comes off so I don't want to cause any more damage before I understand what I am dealing with.   Apologies for giving a verbal description when a picture would show everything so much clearer :(

Appreciate your expert views and opinions,

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Open a Photobucket account, use the IMG CODE and then paste your pictures on here.

The covering on the floor is a bitumen based product that will chip off. Some use a heat gun and scraper,I tend to chisel it off carefully.

Now you can reassess the rust with this off, post your pictures and we can get a better idea.

#3 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

Just been reading about its removal in other threads.   I had assumed it was a bodged filler job where someone had been doing some welding. 

Looks like the auto equivalent of wallpaper stripping in a confined space :(

#4 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

http://s1356.photobu...Mini Floor Rust

Edited by camrocok, 25 December 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Close but no cigar. On each picture that is loaded when you look at the picture there is a small block of lines in the top corner. Hover over that and click on share. Then a drop down appears and you need to then click on the IMG CODE. This auto copies the picture and you then post it on here.

#6 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

Hi Neil - not sure if this will work.  Tried to do it from a tablet and just threw up scam popup.  Hopefully this will work.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hi Neil - not sure if this will work.  Tried to do it from a tablet and just threw up scam popup.  Hopefully this will work.

Nope still no joy.

Not sure why you have a massive tick through the picture as it goes.

Just to reiterate, hover over the picture for the lines to appear in the top l/h corner then hover over them and click Share. You should get another drop down box with four small items in the r/h side. Click on the bottom one which says IMG, this will then say "Copied" Now paste this on here

DSC05045_zpsg2ra7gns.jpg

Like this.

I'm doing this on my Mac so never done it on a Tablet.

#8 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

You can't post a picture to a forum etc from a tablet/phone at this time.  The knobs at photobucket are "working on it", you'll have to use a lappy for now.

Mini2_zpsqkxbjjxn.jpg

#9 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

you'll need to cut all that out...

#10 djdanmk

djdanmk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

If you download the photo bucket app then you can click on share then copy link to clipboard then it gives you the option to copy the img code and then paste onto the forum from a phone or tablet.

#11 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Apart from rust around the drainage holes most of the rest looks superficial. The bitumen coating breaking up and old liner doesn't assist with making it any better

#12 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

Apart from rust around the drainage holes most of the rest looks superficial. The bitumen coating breaking up and old liner doesn't assist with making it any better

#13 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

Once you remove all of it, things will be clearer as to how bad things are or not as the case may be.

#14 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Neil - this is the only link I get when I select everything and "share".  

Having seen how bad some of the rusty minis are on here I feel much better :)

I have been researching the best methods of insulation and rust primer for the finished floor.  

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

Don't select everything. You select one picture at a time. As per my previous reply. You then paste each individual picture onto the thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users