Photo

Best Spray Gun For 2K Paint Fo Under £100?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Guess what i'll be getting for my birthday in a few weeks :lol: i just think its my daughters way of hinting to get on with her mini :gimme:  Anyway which guns do you guys recomend for 2k colour and clear?

it'll be run off a 3hp 50l compressor

Edited by minbin 69, 31 December 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#2 miniseven61

miniseven61

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Your nearest body shop. for safety sake don't do it!!

#3 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:38 AM

running airfed mask

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

A 50 litre tank will not be big enough, my dads 200 litre tanked compressor struggles to keep up sometimes and that's without an air fed mask

#5 miniseven61

miniseven61

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

I agree at least 200 ltr.     If you don't have full extraction of at least 3 air changes per minute with water wash to kill the isocyanate you can't do it safely. I wouldn't want to be your neighbour!

#6 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Any of the cheaper HVLP guns will do a fairly decent job ... have a look on eBay and see what comes up.

To be honest it's more a question of the skill of the sprayer than the limitations of a half decent gun.

Maybe consider using cellulose instead, it's much easier to rework and polish than 2K.  I've used both and personally prefer Celly as I find it more forgiving.

I suspect your 50L compressor will struggle as suggested above, so it will be slow.  

Spraying celly I use an air fed mask, the HVLP gun and the mask are fed by two professional 3HP compressors, their 150L receivers feeding into three 150L tanks @150PSI - after a full car respray I'm down to less than 80PSI across my tanks and the compressors are running flat out.

#7 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Yup, 2 compressors here as well.  I use a seperate compressor away from the fumes to feed the mask.

You'll also need a coalescing filter as well.

Gun wise you'll need a few to be honest.  A cheap one for primer filler with a 2mm tip, the main gun can be a 1.3.

Spray guns direct sell some fairly nice stuff and will give some good advice

#8 Mike_H

Mike_H

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

I've painted several of my own cars now with 2k paint. With a smaller compressor, definitely go for a gravity gun. A 50L will struggle and you'll have to stop and let it catch up regularly. I use a 3hp compressor with a 100 litre tank, and it's able to keep up using a gravity gun. You also need a water trap and a little regulator to control the pressure at the gun. 

I have a Fast Mover 1.8mm cheap gun for primer, and a Deltayo (or something like that) 1.4mm gun I bought for colour a few years ago, but I also use it for wet on wet primer. However, I bought a DeVilbiss Finish Line gun with a 1.4 tip a year or so ago, and the quality of the finish is much better - I think it atomises the paint into smaller droplets. It was about 80 or 90 quid online, and well worth the money IMO. 

I think I'm also better at mixing the paint, improving with experience. If it's too thick, then it tends to dry in an orange peel effect, which makes more work in flatting it down. I tend to do 4 coats (dust coat + 3) rather than the more normal 3 (dust + 2) to give me more room to correct mistakes. 

I use these type of masks. Not as good as an air fed setup, but usable in a DIY environment. They don't give you as much protection as an air fed mask, but I'm prepared to take the risk for occasional use. I know a couple of full time painters who use them, but I wouldn't recommend that. Ideally you should be clean shaven to let the mask seal properly. 

http://www.ebay.co.u...5kAAOSwDk5UExOn

This is the devilbiss gun I bought. The price has gone up due to the exchange rate collapse.

http://www.ebay.co.u...cxy0xWcNRbKcEMg

This looks like a decent option for a budget gun. If you don't expect to spray a lot of cars it should be OK. 

http://www.ebay.co.u...BwAAOxyUylTR-yZ

Edited by Mike_H, 01 January 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#9 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

sorry guy i should of been a bit clearer.. it's 150l tank and i do have another 50l one..filter wise it's the usual reg/water trap then 3 stage coalesant filter thing and then the belt one that comes with the mask..i was just look for a bit better gun than i've been useing..see if that helps or should i just keep to pianting walls :lol:

#10 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

I use a devilbiss Sri pro spray gun it uses very little air so my compressor has a chance to keep up, it does work hard though

#11 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

looks like a nice gun..but not sure the kids love me that much lol

#12 danny79

danny79

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Devilbiss gti here, got one for clear and one for base. both 1.3

i've changed the trans-tech caps to HVLP ones, just my own preference.

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

The advice given above about not necessarily needing an air fed mask is incorrect and downright dangerous. FILTER MASKS DO NOT BLOCK ISOCYANATES. Don't do it, or you may die or live a severely impaired life.

#14 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

The advice given above about not necessarily needing an air fed mask is incorrect and downright dangerous. FILTER MASKS DO NOT BLOCK ISOCYANATES. Don't do it, or you may die or live a severely impaired life.

taking no chances i have air fed and will be using it

#15 Big Patto

Big Patto

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

devillbis flg5 great gun for all paints check out tony's refinishing on utube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users