1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hi guys
I understand that a lot of you guys have lightened your minis by drilling holes in the cross member or doors.
What other panels have you guys drilled holes in to lighten your minis?

Alex

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

What is the purpose of the lightening? Road or track? If you want to go faster, drilling primary structure such as the crossmember is not the way to go as it will reduce the torsional stiffness of the shell and degrade the handling, as well as leading to various other structural and safety problems. Strictly for low mileage track use, not on the road for high mileage. And, I doubt that you will reduce the weight by a pound.

You will save a lot more weight than that by fitting a lightweight alternator and starter, and a racing battery, polycarbonate rear quarter lights (legal behind the driver's sideways sight line) and everything that is not needed. Glassfibre bonnet and boot lid are fairly obvious too. Modern lightweight heater from the kit car suppliers, if you need one. Demister is legal requirement for road use so you probably do. Rewire with modern "thin insulation" wire.

Doing anything to weaken the doors is a bad idea. You don't have much side impact protection and need every bit that you have.

#3 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

Why not try a gym membership, it may be easier than lightening the car and it will transfer across vehicles.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

Hi guys
I understand that a lot of you guys have lightened your minis by drilling holes in the cross member or doors.
What other panels have you guys drilled holes in to lighten your minis?
Alex

Nope.

Alternative materials yes.

Drillium not worth it.

But as above WHY?

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

Most people lighten their cars as they put in a heavy steel roll cage. I certainly wouldn't be messing with the structure of an already weak car.

#6 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:18 AM

Why not try a gym membership, it may be easier than lightening the car and it will transfer across vehicles.

I certainly have far more excess weight than the mini

#7 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

I completely agree with only lightening the car if it has a roll cage which it will be having I'm looking into a custom cage which goes through the front bulkhead and through the rear turrets and being welded into the cage more then is actually needed, just for safe of mind. Regarding the glass and light weight panels they are virtually all ordered in carbon fibre, e.g carbon fibre doors with Perspex windows, carbon fibre roof, carbon fibre boot floor, carbon fibre boot lid and a complete carbon fibre front end.

The car will be track days really, the reason for asking was that I know that some of you have drilled the doors and cross members but if memory serves me correctly someone did the inner sills as well, but just wanted to confirm this
Ales

#8 acrowot

acrowot

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: manchester minis

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

ive taken the inner roof panels out of my race car inner quarter panel strength

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users