TiMtImInYtImTiM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,

I am looking to install a roll cage in the Mini and am looking for advice on which one to choose.

The cage needs to be a bolt in type and I would like to use bucket seats with harnesses.The Safety Devices cages look good as it has optional harness mounting bars.

I also stumbled on this cage from OMP which looks good value:

http://www.demon-twe...-fia-approved-2

Any other options?

Thanks 

#2 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Are you using this for show or competition use?
The linked cage is FIA approved which is a requirement if your using your car in anger

#3 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

The SD cage can also be purchased in FIA spec. Plus they are known to fit very well.

Edited by Gr4h4m, 04 January 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#4 TiMtImInYtImTiM

TiMtImInYtImTiM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

I will be using the car for track days but it will never be used for competition. 

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

Not trying to be unhelpful but this section is for Minis in Motor-sport so the answers reflect the need to meet the MSA/FIA regulations and will refer to the branch of motor-sport in which members wish to compete.

#6 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hi All,

I am looking to install a roll cage in the Mini and am looking for advice on which one to choose.

The cage needs to be a bolt in type and I would like to use bucket seats with harnesses.The Safety Devices cages look good as it has optional harness mounting bars.

I also stumbled on this cage from OMP which looks good value:

http://www.demon-twe...-fia-approved-2

Any other options?

Thanks 

I'd certainly recommend the bolt in 6 point Safety Devices cage. It does fit well and does take some effort to get the rear in but once you have the 'knack' it is easy.  Support plates will need to be welded in so just be wary of that if you can't weld.

Never seen an OMP cage so can't comment.

As a side point......you're going to be doing track days and by the sounds of it you are looking to get your car 'sorted'.....why not look into actual motorsport?  I'm not dissing track days by any means, but a mini is the ideal tool to get involved in grass roots motorsport and i will guarantee you'll have more fun than on a track day.  Autotests, Autosolo's, Targa Rallies, Road rallies, etc etc etc are all things you can do that don't require a helmet and are blooming good fun.  A track day is £100+ is it not?  An Autosolo is about £25 for a full day of competition and an actual winner is found after the day of fun.....on a track day there is no winner.....apart from the organisers and the local Shell fuel station.

I'm not saying don't do track days.....far from it. All i am saying is there is a whole world of low budget motorsport out there you will potentially be missing out on if you don't look a bit harder.  

Trust me, it is fun and once the bug has bit, you will be in it for the long haul.  Find yer local motorclub that does this sort of stuff and go along and have a chat......or any questions just post them on here in the motorsport section.....something like "I want to have a go at motorsport, how do i start?".....or words to that effect.

best of luck.

#7 Joe Nation

Joe Nation

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Fully agree with above. And even if you don't fancy it now, you might later - if you fit an approved cage now then you'll be able to jump straight in.

#8 TiMtImInYtImTiM

TiMtImInYtImTiM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Great advice guys, the 6 point bolt in FIA Safety Devices cage it is then :) 

Do you know of anywhere in the South that professionally fits cages?

Edited by TiMtImInYtImTiM, 05 January 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#9 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

When talking 6 point cages I think Roll Centre do a much nicer cage than SD, especially when using door bars the SD ones on offer are rather flimsy whereas RC uses properly welded saddle brackets.

The SD bolt in multipoint cage is a whole different animal in that it is really a proper cage....as far as I've read also a proper nuisance to fit though.

My 2C

#10 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

I'm personally going to get mine done by endaf Owens in wales as the cages seem to be the best around they are on the expensive side though

#11 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

I'm personally going to get mine done by endaf Owens in wales as the cages seem to be the best around they are on the expensive side though

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't the cages from Owens' place just Custom Cages cages?   (a lot of cages for one sentence!)

#12 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

From what i can see when looking into and speaking to him it seems that the custom cages one is the base of a couple of them and then built upon as there are extra bars here and there in them

#13 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

From what i can see when looking into and speaking to him it seems that the custom cages one is the base of a couple of them and then built upon as there are extra bars here and there in them

That sounds like a plausible explanation for all the 'extra' tubes you can spec on the CC website.  Reckon Endaf thought there needed to be this or that here or there and hey presto it appears on the CC website.

I think the OP was originally looking for a bolt in cage, and although CC do offer one, I'm not sure it would be any better than brand A or B as CDS is CDS is it not.....assuming the companies use what they say they use!!!???

#14 Joe Nation

Joe Nation

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

CDS - cold drawn seamless - just means the tube was drawn through a die, rather than being rolled from a flat sheet and welded. The steel can be any grade that is ductile enough. I would guess that any decent cage or spaceframe would be made from 4130 chromoly (steel alloyed with small amounts of chromium, molybdenum and other elements). You might possibly get some (cheaper) cages made from high-tensile steel. At the top end of the market there are air-hardening steels which get stronger after welding - some need proper heat-treating and some get the heat they need just from welding. I've no idea what grades are used by what companies, but it should be easy enough to find out. Personally I would make sure it was at least 4130 if custom made, but a ready-made cage from a reputable brand like Safety Devices or OMP is sure to be of suitable quality.

For the record, most of my steel knowledge comes from bicycle frames. Companies like Reynolds and True Temper make all varieties of tubes for high-end custom bike frames, as well as lots of other applications (Reynolds 531 tubes were used on Jag E-Type chassis, and True Temper even make aluminium baseball bats).

Right, hijack over :)

Edited by Joe Nation, 17 January 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#15 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

CDS - cold drawn seamless - just means the tube was drawn through a die, rather than being rolled from a flat sheet and welded. The steel can be any grade that is ductile enough. I would guess that any decent cage or spaceframe would be made from 4130 chromoly (steel alloyed with small amounts of chromium, molybdenum and other elements). You might possibly get some (cheaper) cages made from high-tensile steel. At the top end of the market there are air-hardening steels which get stronger after welding - some need proper heat-treating and some get the heat they need just from welding. I've no idea what grades are used by what companies, but it should be easy enough to find out. Personally I would make sure it was at least 4130 if custom made, but a ready-made cage from a reputable brand like Safety Devices or OMP is sure to be of suitable quality.

For the record, most of my steel knowledge comes from bicycle frames. Companies like Reynolds and True Temper make all varieties of tubes for high-end custom bike frames, as well as lots of other applications (Reynolds 531 tubes were used on Jag E-Type chassis, and True Temper even make aluminium baseball bats).

Right, hijack over :)

I had a bike frame made for me by a bloke called Dave Lloyd back when I was much younger and raced a fair bit...that was Reynolds 531 I think.  Still got it and it's a lovely frame - just too small for me now.

Back on subject..........

I'm now wondering if the talk of material quality is something actually quite relevant.  I approached a local firm to me about making a roll cage to my design and spec (Blue book in hand!) and they said that certain well known roll cage companies didn't necessarily use the best of specs of tube.  Yes to the MSA scrutineer they may well be the correct size and thickness etc, but as you mentioned, there are many different grades of steel. They were very clear that some companies use 'cheap' steel as they call it.

Whether this was just them dissing certain brands to get me to buy from them, but why would they? They didn't know who I was so had no real reason to.

They do however say that the company that supplies them with metal won't deal with some of the roll cage companies due to discrepancies......read into that what you will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users