174 replies to this topic

#1 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

After years of wanting a mini pickup, a milestone birthday looming this year seemed the perfect excuse to start the search for one. Couldn't decide between an Mot'd truck or project, and decided it would be worth doing a project to ensure that I know exactly what sits under the shiny paintwork.

Search began in December, bid on a couple on eBay, and viewed one on carandclassic which needed work, but reasonably solid and an asking price of £4500 with a little negotiation. Thought that was possibly a little high for me given it would still need panels, respray, etc.

Found out about one fairly close by which had been off the road for about 12 years, the majority of which in dry storage, but the 12 months or so outside. Obviously had a lot of time and effort spent on it back in the late 90s, and attended a number of shows including the 2005 IMM in Spain. Fortech style arches, groundhog front skirt, converted to later internal hinged doors, partly deseamed and a host of other mods not quite what I would do, but liked the back story and it was just as good base as the couple of eBay projects I bid on. Price was agreed, and collected the pickup yesterday.

Couple of pictures as it is now from collecting it last night (night pictures not the clearest):

image.jpg1_zpsmrkqxskb.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsg2pozw5k.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsaq4pawco.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsnuc4qxgy.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsaq4pawco.jpg

image.jpg3_zpstlj1und4.jpg

image.jpg6_zpsoz6h1zyq.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsbj04td6h.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsmqkvlddk.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsdyjbxsqg.jpg

Some from back in the day - probably around 2000ish, and also at the IMM in Spain:

image.jpg3_zpsddzc6uwh.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsqzamwcyy.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsarboiusj.jpg

Plans are a full rebuild starting with a stripping it back to bare shell, and moving it on to a roll over jig to make life a bit easier. Wides arches etc will be going, and it will be back to standard looking with 10s (would love some Spectrums). Colour wise not too sure at the moment, but plenty of time to decide.

Edited by g111mds, 16 October 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#2 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

Interesting! Mk3 Mini with pickup rear end?

#3 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

No, pickup that's been converted to later doors. It'll be going back to the original door frames and outer hinges.

#4 morley

morley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out! Looks in good nick

#5 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out! Looks in good nick

It's not too bad. Haven't had a good prod about it yet. Cab floors needing a bit of work. It'll be going back to original doors too which will be fun to do!

#6 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Aye a bit of work there me thinks ....be interesting to see what's under the wood on the load bay.

FS

#7 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

Aye a bit of work there me thinks ....be interesting to see what's under the wood on the load bay.
FS

Indeed. Haven't ventured that far yet. Took the approach that it couldn't be any worse than the two projects I bid for on eBay so going into this with low expectations on condition under the big arches, wood lining, etc. biggest concern is putting it back to external hinges as that'll be a challenge I think. Full strip down and onto a roll over jig and will assess from there. :)

Edited by g111mds, 06 January 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

Agree with your logic, I bought two pumped ones as I would rather spend the difference on new panels from m-machine. All the shiny ones were basically like mine but with loads of filler and paint and 5k more ( at least). Spot welder handy too :nods:

FS

#9 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

S reg would mean it would have internal hinges from factory, or are pick ups different? Nice project though  :thumbsup:

#10 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

S reg would mean it would have internal hinges from factory, or are pick ups different? Nice project though  :thumbsup:

Pick ups kept the external hinges :-).

#11 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

Agree with your logic, I bought two pumped ones as I would rather spend the difference on new panels from m-machine. All the shiny ones were basically like mine but with loads of filler and paint and 5k more ( at least). Spot welder handy too :nods:
FS

Yeah, spot welder on the shopping list. Think it's going to be quite a shopping list time I'm done!

#12 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

Glad your putting it back to standard,who ever built that was blind or had rose tinted glasses.its got more waves in it than the ocean good luck with it

#13 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Glad your putting it back to standard,who ever built that was blind or had rose tinted glasses.its got more waves in it than the ocean good luck with it

Definitely back to standard. As I mentioed above, certain appreciate the work and effort that's gone into make it what it is, but a standard looking pickup is my way forward. It's running an mg metro engine that will stay though.

#14 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Inspiration for the thread title:

image.jpg1_zpsczlj4kun.jpg

Think I'll probably keep a hold of this bonnet and put all the Stickers I can move onto it from the rest of the truck as a wee memento of what it previously looked like.

#15 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

No, pickup that's been converted to later doors. It'll be going back to the original door frames and outer hinges.

looking at the interior too and under bonnet pictures it does look more like mk3 front end with pick up rear and that is easier to do to get the internal hinged doors to fit. It does look stunning though and good luck with it all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users