174 replies to this topic

#76 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

Nice to see some progress on this will be watching,just a thought are your brace bars high enough to try doors on,probably are the old eyes arent what they used to be good luck

Thanks!

Good spot on the brace bars, and no, they're not high enough so will need a little fiddling with. Problem is that I need to replace just about everything on the Pup, but one step at a time.

#77 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

This is an interesting thread. I'm so jealous of your double garage, now that the cold nights of winter are setting in. 

Cheers Philip

#78 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Philip. Yes, double garage is certainly handy to have :) .

Little more time in the garage this evening. Passenger side portion of the bulkhead crossmember removed after a struggle, and initial cuts made for the bulkhead repair and toeboard repair panels. Some really thin metal in places on the bulkhead behind the crossmember, so next job is clean everything right back and see what I'm dealing with, some repairs and then see from there.

Attached File  image.jpg   63.95K   2 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   52.78K   1 downloads

#79 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

Now that brave removing front cross member

#80 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:30 AM

Now that brave removing front cross member

Possibly :) . Determined to do as good a job as I can on this, and restore to a condition I'm comfortable with, and then don't need to worry about any short cuts. It'll be long project!

#81 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

You enjoy them more when they are long term projects,did a van a few years ago and set a dead line to get it to a show,when finished I parked it up I was sick of seeing it

#82 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

You enjoy them more when they are long term projects,did a van a few years ago and set a dead line to get it to a show,when finished I parked it up I was sick of seeing it

Indeed. No deadlines here. Will just chip away a bit at a time. Just about ready to make some repairs which will be a step forward rather than continually taking bits off it!

#83 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

Indeed. No deadlines here. Will just chip away a bit at a time. Just about ready to make some repairs which will be a step forward rather than continually taking bits off it!
good man keep us updated

#84 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

Cleaned up some of the suspect areas back to bare metal, cut one section out and cut a patch section to size ready to weld in. Inner wing and bulkhead repair section clamped loosely in place.

Attached File  image.jpeg   47.36K   12 downloads

I want to pin everything together before welding anything in place. Think this will be the front corner, door pillar, door step, and rear side panel lower repair section right down the side to aid the alignment and positioning of everything.

I'd like the door to be in place too again for alignment purposes. So, next step make sense to be to get the passenger door ready to bolt on. Door skin looks reasonably ok, but the lower frame seems to need some work. So, skin to come off, repair the lower door frame, new skin, and then from there I'll get the door post and things ordered up and everything into position.

Attached File  image.jpeg   42.48K   9 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   43.89K   0 downloads

#85 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

Attention turned to stripping down the door for the passenger side. First door skin I've done so took a bit of time to fiddle most of it off, having strips off what door furniture was left in place when I bought the doors. Rubber(?) window guides in the upper frame pretty much crumbled on touch. With the skin off, the frame is in pretty reasonable condition actually, bar the lower portion which will need to be replaced.

Attached File  image.jpeg   146.73K   0 downloads

Hinges a bit crusty, so have stuck them in a container of vinegar for a couple of days to see how they clean up.

Attached File  image.jpeg   138.03K   1 downloads

I'll order up the door skin and frame repair section.

#86 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

Attention turned to stripping down the door for the passenger side. First door skin I've done so took a bit of time to fiddle most of it off, having strips off what door furniture was left in place when I bought the doors. Rubber(?) window guides in the upper frame pretty much crumbled on touch. With the skin off, the frame is in pretty reasonable condition actually, bar the lower portion which will need to be replaced.

Attached File  image.jpeg   146.73K   0 downloads

Hinges a bit crusty, so have stuck them in a container of vinegar for a couple of days to see how they clean up.

Attached File  image.jpeg   138.03K   1 downloads

#87 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:46 PM

LH door skin and lower frame repair section ordered from m-machine today.

#88 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Better to use a solution of citric acid (you can buy the powder from home brew shops or ebay) or Bilthamber DeOx much better than vinegar which is too weak

#89 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Better to use a solution of citric acid (you can buy the powder from home brew shops or ebay) or Bilthamber DeOx much better than vinegar which is too weak

Thank you - I'll have a look :)

#90 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

I admire you dedication mate, every credit.

Looks like youre in for the long haul ! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users