174 replies to this topic

#91 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

I admire you dedication mate, every credit.

Looks like youre in for the long haul ! :D

thank you! :)

yes, certainly going to be a long term project...

#92 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

Home to another delivery from m-machine

Attached File  image.jpg   68.82K   4 downloads

Heritage door skin and bottom door frame repair.

Attached File  image.jpg   42.42K   0 downloads

I'll continue on with the door repairs, and next order will be the door pillar and inner / outer a panels and a door step. This should give me everything I need to pin the front corner together and aligned, and ready to weld. Some repairs to the bulkhead first though.

#93 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Managed to grab an hour in the garage this evening. Marked out the lower frame portion to be removed, drilled out the spot welds going through to the door pocket, and removed the part to be replaced. Some trimming to do, but initial checks looks like the profile of the repair part is pretty much spot on.

Attached File  image.jpeg   75.45K   1 downloads

#94 wagon_rider

wagon_rider

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Liking this project, good work for taking it on :)

We must be local - I'm in Bathgate :)

Not sure why i'm not allowed to view the pics on the first couple of pages - they open then disappear! :(

Edited by wagon_rider, 08 December 2017 - 09:00 AM.

#95 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Liking this project, good work for taking it on :)

We must be local - I'm in Bathgate :)

Not sure why i'm not allowed to view the pics on the first couple of pages - they open then disappear! :(

Thank you! It's certainly going to keep me out of mischief as I work through the project!!

Yes, not too far away. In fact, I was in Bathgate earlier in the week to pick up a spare front subframe. It'll will help me line everything up at the front end before welding, especially given that I'm replacing part of the bulkhead crossmember.

Few repairs to do on the bulkhead after I reskkn the door for the passenger side, plus some extra panels to do that too.

#96 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

Tonight's task was to weld a repair plate into this section of the bulkhead (leaving the original opening to the right of course):

Attached File  image.jpeg   47.36K   4 downloads

It didn't really go at all to plan. Some bits welded ok and were fine when ground back, but blowing lots of holes. The area I was trying to weld to is quite badly pitted, so I think the metal has gone far too thin. You can see it in this other section more to the right of the bulkhead:

Attached File  image.jpeg   62.1K   4 downloads

I've cut more away and going to have another shot and laying in a repair, which has left me with this:

Attached File  image.jpeg   63.42K   4 downloads

Plenty of other repairs needed and this is just on the passenger side, including a repair label I've bought from m-machine which was due to go in when everything was lined up. I'll see how the lay in repair goes, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should just replace the entire bulkhead and toe board. Everything else is being replaced, so why not!! :)

Edited by g111mds, 11 December 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#97 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

11 December 2017 follow-up - amazing what a bit of reflection under the warm water of a hot shower after a bit of disappointing time in the garage will do for you. I think the only option is to replace the entire bulkhead and toeboard with a new heritage one. I'm going to the extent of new inner wings, window surround, door posts, full floor, load bay, etc etc, so it makes absolutely no sense at all to skimp on the bulkhead area, rebuild knowing the pitting is there, and probably wish at a later stage I'd just replaced it.

I'll have another go at laying in a repair into the section I've cut, but I think the decision is pretty much made. It'll save quite a bit of hassle. What I'll need to do though is build more of an internal frame to make sure everything lines up ok, and also look to get the drivers side inner wing etc removed too.

Edited by g111mds, 11 December 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#98 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

Had a few days away from the garage, read some more threads on here for inspiration, made up a new repair panel, and having another go at the bulkhead. A fiddle with the welder settings and we have a repair tacked into placed, with no holes blown in the metal. Needs a lot of dressing back and finishing, but ladies and gentleman... we're making progress and theres a slight glimpse of hope that i can save the bulkhead.

Edited by g111mds, 21 December 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#99 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

So glad your going back to the correct doors on this Pup. Hope the swap goes well. Looking forward to some more pics :)

#100 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

So glad your going back to the correct doors on this Pup. Hope the swap goes well. Looking forward to some more pics :)

thank you. big undertaking, but the only way to do it I reckon. not had too much time to work on it, but continuing to fiddle with the door frame in prep for the new skin, and working a little more on the bulkhead patch too. pics to follow... :)

#101 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

That bulk head repair looks hard to replicate how you going to shape it

#102 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

That bulk head repair looks hard to replicate how you going to shape it

In terms of the inner edge?

Little bit more time grinding the little parts left of the old skin and trimming the frame ready for the repair section. Finding it quite fiddly to get lined up, but first time replacing this so really taking my time. Hopefully too much more prep then will get the parts of the frame that I won't be able to access after skinning kurust treated and painted.

#103 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:56 PM

Few hours in the garage today.

Finished, for now, the welding on the first bulkhead repair. Messy welding, but done for now. Will need some finishing though.

Attached File  image.jpeg   69.29K   3 downloads

When I'd braced the shell, I hadn't factored in the door pockets for the replacement doors. Bracing redone today to factor this in:

Attached File  image.jpeg   48.61K   1 downloads

With this done, moved back to the passenger door repairs. Lower frame repair section was already to size, so primered the bottom of the door pocket and door frame repair section:

Attached File  image.jpeg   55.15K   0 downloads

Everything then lined up using the door skin for reference, clamped and tacked in place and welded. Messy welding, but looking ok when ground back.

Attached File  image.jpeg   42.68K   0 downloads

More to do on the frame before the skin goes on.

Finally, couldn't resist popping it in the door aperture to see how it looks:

Attached File  image.jpeg   56.2K   0 downloads

Edited by g111mds, 29 December 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#104 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Frustrating couple of hours in the garage today. Grinder decided to pack up which was a bit unexpected and more than a little annoying. Managed to weld in one of the other small repairs sections, and then tidy the garage a little.

#105 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Any progress is progress...

Wether its clearing the gorge or fixing the car...

All good work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users