#1 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Dear All,

I have used silent coat silver backed underlay on the cross members under my bonnet and a "dedicated underlay kit for the four quarters.

The dedicated kit was not as dedicated as I had hoped and I have had to trim one of the quarters.  The front is vinyl but the backing is a horsehair type material and this does not lend itself to cutting.   The result is I am left with a rough edge of horsehair.   To tidy this up I was going to use some high temperature paint so it blends in but being a cautious sort of chap I am worried about the risk of fire.

The only reason I used the silent coat was because I had a paint reaction when undercoating the bonnet in this area and this seemed like the quickest way to tidy it up.  I can hear you scream one bodge after another :(

Would welcome any constructive thoughts.  

#2 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

What about using silent coat or dynamat on the quarters? I wouldn't imagine it's doing any good other than cosmetic on the framing. It can look good if properly fitted, use aluminium foil tape to tidy the edges.

The horsey hair one is a bit shaggy on the sides, especially if it's it had a clean cut. Black engine paint should do the trick after you've cleaned the edges.

Don't do what I did once, remember to leave enough space at the two sides for the wing lip.

#3 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

I did dry fit it first time around so I thought the fit was good which clearly it wasn't.   Job for this morning is to replace the hinges which is a really fiddly job!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users