#16 greenwheels

greenwheels

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

A (late) friend of mine who used to run a car repair business told me how he changed an engine in a car once and was just down the pit finishing off on the exhaust when the owner came around to see progress.

'Are you nearly finished?' he asked, 'nearly done, just got to fill the engine with oil' said the voice from the pit.

'Shall I start to put it in?' said the owner. 'OK' said my friend.

After a short while a voice from above said 'I can only get a pint in'. 'Hang on a minute and I'll be with you' said my friend.

My friend came up out of the pit and ----!!!!------!!!!!!!

he'd poured the oil down the carburetor!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Remember the world of motoring has changed in recent years. In past years most cars including the Mini needed regular care and attention because it was essential to check and top up oil, coolant, tyre pressures, etc on a weekly basis, also to grease suspension joints and change oil and filters at the kind of mileages some people do in a week of commuting now!

The manufacturers have responded by building cars that now need minimal maintenance and as a result many owners neither know nor care how to even open the bonnet anymore.

A garage recently reported in 'Car Mechanics' magazine that customers often report their windscreen washers as not working as a fault........on investigation the reason is they have run out of washer fluid/water........when explained to the owners they expected them to be 'filled for life' at the factory! :lol:

#18 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

My next door but 1 neighbour a bini owner topped the coolant right up with neat screen wash. I took the majority of it out for her and said as she was taking it in for a service to get it all dropped and changed. I bet the coolant system was nice and clean though.

#19 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I heard of someone years ago who topped up their oil ................................... yeah you guessed it ...................... right to the top    >_<

#20 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

I agree with Carlos.

Motorists need to know basic maintenance and checks for the sake of safety more than anything. With hard shoulders disappearing from our motorways, many breakdowns can be avoided by performing basic weekly checks.

I believe it's part of the driving test for new drivers now.

If you are incompetent or unable, then pop into a local garage on a regular basis and have them check for a nominal fee. In fact some garages check for free. 

#21 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I would agree drivers should carry out basic checks on any car they drive especially rental cars, my current Bini does not even have a dipstick to check the oil, which encourages you not to check the other levels.

#22 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

I would agree drivers should carry out basic checks on any car they drive especially rental cars, my current Bini does not even have a dipstick to check the oil, which encourages you not to check the other levels.

My 330 doesn't either drives me nuts have to go through the computer park the car on level ground and with the ignition running check it in the computer system. What was wrong with a stick with some lines on it

#23 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

My 330 doesn't either drives me nuts have to go through the computer park the car on level ground and with the ignition running check it in the computer system. What was wrong with a stick with some lines on it

My Scenic has the dipstick integral to the filler cap but the dipstick is missing.

The car has a self test on the computer which is very accurate so no worries

#24 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

My Scenic has the dipstick integral to the filler cap but the dipstick is missing.

The car has a self test on the computer which is very accurate so no worries

Most of the 1.5dci Renault engines have the dip stick as part of the oil filler tube, it's actually incredibly annoying as it makes filling with oil a very slow process!
Working for a main dealership, it's amazing how many people don't check their oil level, we have a lot of cars come in with oil not even on the dip stick and people wondering why timing chains rattle and tensioners fail. It's beyond belief

#25 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,707 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

i picked up a scrap car that the lady had filled the engine with water thinking she was filling the washer bottle

I knew a young lady that killed her Metro the same way. I suppose if you've been given zero interested in things mechanical it's easier than we'd imagine.

#26 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

I owned a garage, so I met dozens of customers who did all those funny, weird or ridiculously wrong things to their cars!  I realised early on, as did my staff, that if they knew as much about looking after cars as we did, pretty soon we wouldn't have jobs! 

Luckily we're all better informed now!

Or in my wife's favourite line, "The internet, car forums and clever, money saving advice - keeping garages in business since 2003!!"

Jon

#27 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

theyve made knowing where the fluids and stuff are part of the driving test now havent they? 

#28 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

Make it part of the MOT, a driver aspect, if the registered keeper of the car can prove they can do basic maintenance on it similar to what you have to show on the test your car passes.

#29 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,692 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

theyve made knowing where the fluids and stuff are part of the driving test now havent they? 

They do indeed, my daughters been studying for her's and they includeTell me’ questions

Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.

Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.

Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.

Identify the high and low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.

Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.

Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.

Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.

Identify reservoir and explain how to check level.

I know plenty of people who would fail these!

#30 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

I was once talking about servicing my car at work when one girl said I wasn't allowed to do that and that it had to be done by a garage. A few of the other women I worked with all started agreeing with her saying things like it was fraud etc if I was giving my car it's Mot certificate.

I had to point out that I said 'SERVICE' not 'MOT' to which the girl said 'yes, but they are the same thing aren't they'.

Turns out every time she had her MOT done she thought she was getting it serviced. After I explained it properly it suddenly dawned on her why her "services" were so cheap despite everyone telling her binis were expensive to maintain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares