#1 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am is despair at trying to get my front end aligned...

I have replaced everything with the exception of the inner wings... the A panel, wings, scuttle and front panel all look to have great alignment and gaps, BUT...

I cannot get the bonnet even close to where it should be :( any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

my biggest concern is the overhang at the front panel, the catch is aligned in the locating hole in the front panel but as the pictures clearly shows the bonnet sits very proud of the front panel

Im at the point of throwing the panels and going fibreglass one piece front end as I've spent over 4 weeks at this point just trying to align.

Thank you

Attached File  IMG_2648.JPG   32.9K   31 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2647.JPG   39.75K   25 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2649.JPG   44.97K   26 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2646.JPG   19.65K   21 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2643.JPG   34.18K   26 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2641.JPG   27.55K   14 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2640.JPG   39.19K   21 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2639.JPG   26.3K   19 downloads

Edited by Ni83mini, 08 January 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#2 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

Where about in East Yorkshire are you?, could possibly have a look and offer some assistance 

got to be a work around rather than fit a fibreglass front

#3 miniseven61

miniseven61

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Hmm, The bonnets do tend to finish slightly forward of the wing front edge on most cars but not as much as that, you may have to try a different approach to the fitting of the panels, is the front panel bolted to the front subframe correctly, the wings are notoriously difficult to get right, it looks like the panels may be non genuine, this could be the problem, if the front panel inner brackets are not in the right place it will throw everything out and you may have to push and shove the wings to get them in the right place, it's not easy and will probably take a bit of time, see if you can get someone local with a bit of experience to help with this, without the knowledge you may struggle to get it right. I'm in Southampton, sorry.

#4 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

@spaybeater - Im based in Gilberdyke near goole.

#5 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

@miniseven61 -Thanks for the advise, the wings are non-genuine parts that come with the car when i bought it.  the front panel is bolted into the front subframe and the rubber mounts are in the locating pins etc.. its very frustrating that all the other panels appear to fit together well with the exception of the bonnet.

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Genuine or copy panels?

#7 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Suspecting they are copy panels....  after more fettling i am getting the following, but the d/s wing even looks the wrong curve so suspecting poor quality panels are adding to my pain.

Attached Files

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

If you don't get any more adjustment out of the bonnet then the next option is to cut a small v on the return either side of the curve in the bonnet. Then gently press the front of the bonnet back to close the gap. This should then sort the overhang.

However there really should not be any need for this and could well be down to the pattern panels. We used pattern on my lads car Project Erm including a new pattern bonnet. Total nightmare,and took 45 man hours to sort out by cutting, slitting and adding metal.

I fitted all Heritage panels to the Mini Special I did a couple of years ago with no issues at all. Scuttle, A panels, wings and front panel. The bonnet was original.

#9 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Sonikk4, Think i will order up a pair of Heritage wings and see how that helps before i start cutting an reshaping the bonnet.

#10 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Sonikk4, Think i will order up a pair of Heritage wings and see how that helps before i start cutting an reshaping the bonnet.

I've had this exact problem in the past whether I used Heritage panels or not, I would typically reshape the corners of the bonnet using a wooden block, I never cut any panels in my time and have always got at least a good fit. I have fitted around 500 front ends on minis in my time working with classic cars

Cheers

David

#11 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks R1mini. Would you use the wooden block like a hammer and dolly or as an edge to bend around?

#12 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

@spaybeater - Im based in Gilberdyke near goole.

As said if you need help the offer is genuine!! I am an hour away along M62, retired bodyshop man

was in trade for 50+yrs mainstream and classics (and a fair few of what we now call classics before

they were known as such) HaHa.

Frank

#13 Ni83mini

Ni83mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hi Frank very kind offer, thank you sir. Have private messaged you my contact details

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users