#646 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

It doesn't ride high enough for my liking so after speaking to a mate yesterday I have decided to extend the suspension knuckles 20mm

you might find that put your ball joint in the scrap bin. they only have limited working angles.

#647 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:02 PM

It doesn't ride high enough for my liking so after speaking to a mate yesterday I have decided to extend the suspension knuckles 20mm

you might find that put your ball joint in the scrap bin. they only have limited working angles.
Won't be driving any distance at full height. Just to get over things (in sainbury's car park)

#648 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

Won't be driving any distance at full height. Just to get over things (in sainbury's car park)
Still sounds way to much.

#649 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

What working angle are you talking about

#650 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:24 PM

What working angle are you talking about

If you set it high, don't set it 'hard' so that it's locked at that height. When it is up, avoid sharp steering angles.

The Joints to watch will be the lower ball joints.

#651 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

Extending by 20mm will give a massive change - nearly 4” higher which, as said, will start to put the joint well outside their working angles. I’d be looking at 10mm initially and seeing what that looks like.

#652 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

What I would be doing is removing the shocks and seeing just how far they can drop. As it will be less than you think and don’t forget there is the bump stop and the subframe in the way. And then as the others have said look at the pins on the balls.

#653 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

I probably haven't explained it well enough. I essence, the rams in the pistons are not long enough, so when they are all the way in and the aches are sitting on my tyres, they have to move 20mm out before they even move the suspension up. I think because the kit is generally used to lower cars and the fact I have such large diameter wheels. At its highest point with the pistons fully out, the ride height is just the same as it was before I started. I'll film it. The nuckles I'm talking about is the one on the end of the cone.

#654 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

Here you go. Alot of the movement is with in the doughnut. but hopefully this will explain things.

#655 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Here's one thing I have knocked up. Trimmed the shaft and welded an extended rod on. Then made a collar, drilled through and welded each side.Attached File  20190520_145527_resized.jpg   29.47K   0 downloads

#656 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

There's only one way to find out!

Cheers :)

#657 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, gotya.

As you say, (and as it the case with just about all after market Mini Based suspension parts) the system is for lower rather than raising.

Wow it's FAST acting !

#658 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:25 PM

Well finally after drilling through my rear cone mount to get my cone compressor in I managed to compress it enough along with dropping the shock. It now rides at its lowest point with the tyre 10mm from the wheel arch. It still only raises an extra 15mm at full though (90mm in total from tyre to arch) which is still not high enough for my liking. I think it has now got into the realms of what Nick is hinting at, the shocks. I'll disconnect them next and test the full height without, If it turns out that way I think the easiest way will be to alter the top shock mount by 50mm rather than trying to find a long shock.

Question for spider.. are moke shocks longer than standard?

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 21 May 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#659 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

The R & D of something untried !

Fronts are the same as Stock Mini, however, the Rears are longer and common also to the Van and Pick-up.

Compressed length is 254 mm

Extended Length is  410 mm.

Just looking at your trailing arms, they appear to be Mini types with an extension - is that what they are?

As an FYI, Big Wheel Mokes use a long Trailing Arm than a Mini. They are approx 13" from the centre of the Trailing Arm, to the Centre of the Stub Axle, ie, around 3" longer than Mini ones.

#660 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

The R & D of something untried !

Fronts are the same as Stock Mini, however, the Rears are longer and common also to the Van and Pick-up.

Compressed length is 254 mm

Extended Length is  410 mm.

Just looking at your trailing arms, they appear to be Mini types with an extension - is that what they are?

As an FYI, Big Wheel Mokes use a long Trailing Arm than a Mini. They are approx 13" from the centre of the Trailing Arm, to the Centre of the Stub Axle, ie, around 3" longer than Mini ones.

thought Mini ones were 12" pivot pin to stub axel C-C (same as metro).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users