#706 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

Can anyone tell me which end on the line is metric and which is imperial?

Bummer ! But glad you found this the way you did.

The Threads in those 'regulators' are M10 x 1.0. I'd say that the fitting on your Brake Line was 3/8" UNF.

I've tried the brass fittings a while back and I gotta say, I'm not crazy about them at all.
Well I've just measured both ends and both threads are 3/8. The brake kit from minispares says its metric at one end. All I can think is when I took the brake lines to my local garage to get shorted, they must have put the wrong fitting on. Think I'll buy a flaring kit next time

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 23 June 2019 - 04:20 PM.

#707 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, easy for someone to mix up.

I read Itsaminithing's post re: the Nick in the fitting, but none of the M10 fittings I've bought in recent years have had that.

The 3/8" UNF Fittings will screw in to the M10 holes, they are a little loose and with a pipe in them, very hard to pick it's not right. But the M10 Fittings are just that much bigger that they won't go in to a 3/8" UNF Hole.

They are a Trap.

#708 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

.... when I took the brake lines to my local garage to get shorted, they must have put the wrong fitting on. Think I'll buy a flaring kit next time

Then the garage should sort it out.... their mistake, they ought to put it right.

Just think what might have happened if it had let go when it was put back on the road or at speed.

I read Itsaminithing's post re: the Nick in the fitting, but none of the M10 fittings I've bought in recent years have had that.

The 3/8" UNF Fittings will screw in to the M10 holes, they are a little loose and with a pipe in them, very hard to pick it's not right. But the M10 Fittings are just that much bigger that they won't go in to a 3/8" UNF Hole.

They are a Trap.

As i stated the SAE metric thread connectors normally have a nick to differentiate them from the SAE UNF thread connectors (to me it seems like a damned daft idea changing from UNF thread to the M10 metric thread -but only on some connectors on the car).

No nick? ....are you buying cheap connectors :P

I hope your not buying DIN M10 metric thread connectors?

http://www.fedhillus...mon flares6.pdf

#709 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:47 PM

.... when I took the brake lines to my local garage to get shorted, they must have put the wrong fitting on. Think I'll buy a flaring kit next time

Then the garage should sort it out.... their mistake, they ought to put it right.

Just think what might have happened if it had let go when it was put back on the road or at speed.

They are a Trap.

As i stated the SAE metric thread connectors normally have a nick to differentiate them from the SAE UNF thread connectors (to me it seems like a damned daft idea changing from UNF thread to the M10 metric thread -but only on some connectors on the car).

No nick? ....are you buying cheap connectors :P

I hope your not buying DIN M10 metric thread connectors?

http://www.fedhillus...mon flares6.pdf

Cheers but no, not cheap fittings and not DIN standard either !

The Factory M10 fittings weren't marked in any way either (not the ones they used in our local factory). These were slightly shorter than the 3/8" fittings and had a 10 mm AF hex.

If I remember, I'll dig some out and post up some photos.

I agree, it would be nice if they were all made to a similar standard and readily identifiable, but, some (many ?) are not.

#710 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:18 PM

Chris -I should have stated the brass aftermarket SAE metric thread connectors normally have a nick on the hex.

From memory i think your right about the factory connectors not having this identifier.

#711 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:27 AM

Chris -I should have stated the brass aftermarket SAE metric thread connectors normally have a nick on the hex.

From memory i think your right about the factory connectors not having this identifier.

Ah - OK,,,,

The fittings I've been buying are plated steel types.

#712 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

I think the problem was Minis were already out there with UNF lines. Also components, like the much loved FAM7821, were used on other models that were all Metric. It was probably judged simpler and safer overall to leave the existing components as they'd always been.

As Spider said, you might not notice replacing a UNF wheel cylinder with a metric one.

#713 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Phewww, David manners had just one left on the shelf. Note the nick at one end.Attached File  20190624_155229_resized.jpg   22.17K   1 downloads
I now know what I'm doing tonight. Going on the RR at vmax on Thursday. So brakes would be good.

#714 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

Well that didnt work. The brake limiter valve is threaded too!! David Manners don't have any, so I might as well tap the threads see it that works. Ordered M10 1.0 taps (yes Nick - tapered and bottom :D ) and a Die to clean up the new fitting from amazon prime so will arrive tomorrow.

Attached File  brake limiter.jpg   34.71K   1 downloads

Guess I wont be using this tonight.

Attached File  brake pump.jpg   44.76K   1 downloads

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 24 June 2019 - 06:48 PM.

#715 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

Got some 3mm spacers for the rear ( I'll let you guess why by looking at the pictures). They were no good by the way.

Attached File  rear brake drum3.jpg   26.46K   0 downloads Attached File  rear brake drum wheel.jpg   43.51K   0 downloadsAttached File  rear brake drum spacers.jpg   23.08K   0 downloadsAttached File  rear brake drum spacer.jpg   30.2K   0 downloads

Had to do this in the end

Attached File  rear brake drum.jpg   25.08K   0 downloadsAttached File  rear brake drum2.jpg   42.74K   0 downloads

#716 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

A couple of pictures from when I was tinkering in the sun. I chopped up the old roof to shape into a bikini top. Really please how it turned out.

Attached File  desertrat side.jpg   93.21K   1 downloadsAttached File  desertrat rear.jpg   91.14K   1 downloads

Attached File  desertrat front.jpg   62.96K   1 downloads

This is the max height at the rear. It actually goes higher that my wife evoque.

Attached File  desertrat clearance.jpg   78.47K   1 downloads

Having things this exposed makes it very easy to work on. To get underneath the car I just raise it up, brilliant!

Attached File  desertrat front arch.jpg   39.56K   1 downloads

Interior shot, just need to sort out a desert rat style glove box.

Attached File  desertrat interior.jpg   75.89K   2 downloadsAttached File  desertrat hydraulic controller.jpg   43.92K   3 downloads

Torquing the head up and fluids change ready for the RR

Attached File  desertrat head.jpg   96.47K   3 downloads

#717 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

Brakes all sorted, took the new line (which got carved up too) to the garage that shorted them before. Put new fitting on and tapped the valve. All bled. put the valves at a bit of an angle as the pipe is very close to the subframe turret .

Attached File  brake restrictor valve.jpg   46.12K   1 downloads

#718 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:25 AM

Looks like it could trap a bit of air. Fortunately, you've now got the means of levelling it if it ever needs bleeding!

#719 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

Looks like it could trap a bit of air. Fortunately, you've now got the means of levelling it if it ever needs bleeding!

tbd I can just undo the nut and turn in level, just a bit close to the subframe to look neat

#720 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

..ammo box for the glove box surely ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users