6 replies to this topic

#1 NWilks89

NWilks89

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Right chaps, got a problem with the speedo cable on my 1992 carb. Removed the cable when I took the dash out the other week. Then I pushed the cable home when I put the dash back in and the speedo no longer works.
I took the dash out again and pulled the speedo cable out. I found a white plastic component with a pointy end which was all squashed and the speedo cable no longer has the square rotating core (have photos, but not sure how to upload).

Anyone know if I need a new speedo cable to sort this?

Cheers

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

It does seem from your description that the cable is damaged. The only reliable fix is a new one. They vary greatly in price so do some Googling. I suggest avoiding Ebay or cheap imports if you want it to be made properly, and work. There are reports that the end is not formed properly, flattened rather than square, on cables from at least one well-known supplier, so it mat be advisable to collect in person from the shop, if close enough, so you can check that it is properly formed.

If you can't find a decent one try www.speedycables,com.

You may know this already. Obviously I don't know how much experience you have, and apologise if I am "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs". I would just like to suggest that because the gearbox end of the cable is in a somewhat confined space, replacement will be easier if you have the car up on ramps or axle stands, to get at the engine end from below, or as I do, whip out the radiator. (I have big hands.) A plumber's basin tap wrench, available from B&Q, Screwfix or Toolstation, may be helpful, but I would be inclined not to buy one until I actually needed it.

Last time I did one I used PTFE bicycle grease from Halfords, which seemed to work well. Whatever lubricant you use, keep it away from the speedo end as far as possible. That is an interesting challenge!

#3 NWilks89

NWilks89

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

My experience is limited so thanks! What do you apply the grease to?

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

It needs to be inside the outer casing, or on the inner cable, for about the bottom two thirds of the length. Some used to suggest greasing the inner cable, except the speedo end, threading it in, pulling it back, and wiping the top 6 inches or so, but you would be doing that for ever to get the last of it off. It allegedly gums up the speedo if it gets in, but I have never had that happen, because I have been lucky and/or careful.

The inner cable comes out from the speedo end, so you can pull it right out, Lightly grease half to two thirds of its length from the plain end, and feed that end upwards from the gearbox end. Twirl it around a bit to transfer the grease to the casing, pull out, wash the inner cable with WD-40 or petrol etc, wipe dry, to get it clean and dry, and re-insert the dry cable from the correct end this time. That way there should be no grease at the top end.

It is quicker to do than write about. You can do it before going near the car. But it is possible that your new cable may have been greased during manufacture.

#5 NWilks89

NWilks89

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

So I managed to swap out the cable but have another problem. The speedo works at slow speed, but when I speed up it bounces around and i can hear a clicking. Sounds like the speedo cable core is only just touching the back of the gauge.
I can see the back of he gauge has a square hole which matches the speedo cable.
Any ideas? My last speedo cable had some sort of white plastic piece slotted over the end of the cable which then went in to the back of the gauge (but it appears a little mashed up now).
Any ideas?

#6 JBW

JBW

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

The "white plastic piece"  is necessary, I'd dropped mine onto the floor when removing the cable from the speedo, didn't realise it until I put it all back together & had exactly what you're describing. Suspect it comes with new speedo cable as I can't find a part no. for it.

#7 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

It is part of the cable and seems to be moulded on to the inner. It may actually just be a tight press fit, or adhesive bonded, but it is permanent. It should never fall off. It has to be fitted at the correct distance from the end, as it sets the depth of engagement of the inner cable at both ends. It is actually a simplistic and lightweight thrust bearing.

If it is not fitted you need to speak to whoever supplied the cable, and get them to replace the complete assembly, as it is plainly defective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users