#17 minifreek1

minifreek1

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Local Club: Northern Monkeys.....

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

A simple 1-2 amp diode, wired in series, should stop it from interfering with the brake lights... in theory anyway...

A diode only lets current flow 1 way.... thats what Id try first....

#18 Steve8274

Steve8274

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Awesome work gone into this. Looking forward to updates

#19 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

RE your brake/fog light - you really shouldn't dim LEDs with resistors. best way to dim leds is with a PWM LED driver. this pulses the LED at a high enough frequency that isn't detectable to the human eye, but allows them to dim. I just made one up out of a 555 timer, a transistor and some resistors and a potentiometer for some RPM leds I've made to go around the tacho, Potentiometer allows you to adjust brightness. you could even wire some resistors to dip switches to set brightness so it doesn't move from vibration. will be doing the same for my LED brake light I've made as it is way too bright. like blinding bright! 

This is the only pic I have of the cct, but its very small. thats an 80mm smiths tacho

GmpLji3.jpg

LED shift lights

pKNjOn8.jpg

#20 patto

patto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info I used the resistors for simplicity really and they were supplied with the light. Is there much downside to using resistors as opposed to the pulsing circuit? The voltage rating for the light is 9v with a maximum of 12v so I’m only trying to drop a few volts from what’s supplied from the alternator.

As you can probably tell automotive electrics isn't really my strong point, I haven’t done much in the way of circuit design since uni so if anyone has suggestions for switching it between brake and fog light that would be great. I again was just going to keep it simple and use a illuminated SPDT switch on the dash but is there a better way?

fog%20light_zps7ym4zrwn.jpg

#21 morley

morley

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Nice work, I wish i had access to all that machinery, i'd be forever making stuff! Whats next? 

#22 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 PM

RE your brake/fog light - you really shouldn't dim LEDs with resistors. best way to dim leds is with a PWM LED driver. this pulses the LED at a high enough frequency that isn't detectable to the human eye, but allows them to dim. I just made one up out of a 555 timer, a transistor and some resistors and a potentiometer for some RPM leds I've made to go around the tacho, Potentiometer allows you to adjust brightness. you could even wire some resistors to dip switches to set brightness so it doesn't move from vibration. will be doing the same for my LED brake light I've made as it is way too bright. like blinding bright! 

This is the only pic I have of the cct, but its very small. thats an 80mm smiths tacho

GmpLji3.jpg

LED shift lights

pKNjOn8.jpg

Any chance of a bit of a guide for how you did that, particularly getting the revs to match up to the LEDs?  I'd love to copy it to my new dashboard!

It would also be quite cool if you could get all the LEDs to flash at you if you get to your rev limit too, any ideas how you could do that?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Mini Spares