#1 Chris Bone

Chris Bone

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

Evening, 

I have just joined the mini world having bought a 1996 SPI and I am getting to know it very well already! Anyway, a few weeks ago I discovered a small amount of fuel pooling in the boot and could see that it is stemming from underneath the tank. I also investigated the fuel lines underneath and the engine bay but it is clear that the source of the leak is behind the tank...somewhere. I am in the process of removing the tank in order to investigate further but have come across a problem. I can't get it out! I have disconnected fuel lines, electrical items, gromet and the tank strap but yet to remove the breather pipe. The issue is that the tank strap anchor/hinge is stopping the tank being removed. I can move it only so far up the anchor before the top of the tank fouls on the underside of the parcel shelf. I am thinking of cutting the anchor in half and bending/lower the other part in order to stop it fouling on this (it seems unnecessarily large but there might be a reason for this). I just wondered if this was normal practice as it seems quite extreme, if the half anchor left would be ok to hold the tank strap bolt and if I went down this route would I have issues in an accident with insurance etc. I have searched for a solution in this forum but can't find anything relating to fuel tank removal issues. 

Many thanks in advance. I have been struggling with this for the last 2 weeks so hopefully there is a solution out there. 

Regards, 

Chris

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I have removed mine several times with no issues. It takes some wiggling, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Attached File  Fuek Tank .pdf   141.8K   169 downloads

#3 Chris Bone

Chris Bone

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

xrocketengineer, 

Thanks for the reply and pdf. I will try some more wiggling next weekend :)  

Regards, 

Chris

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

As above, you just need to remove the bottom retaining bolt completely and push the strap to one side. No need to cut anything! When reinstalling the tank use a little lube to slide the neck of the tank through the rubber grommet / seal, to avoid it distorting.

#5 Chris Bone

Chris Bone

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Yep, bottom retaining bolt is out and strap is to one side but I have been struggling to get the tank over this anchor/hinge.

Regards,

Chris

#6 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

When you say anchor do you mean the bracket that the bolt screws into? The tank can be awkward to move from the corner - may simply need a wiggle and a decent tug to shift it. The filler neck rubber may have perished and siezed around the neck of the tank. Or is there any chance that the bottom seam of the tank has rusted into the floor of the boot? Maybe some penetrating fluid top and bottom will move things along? Just keep an eye on the detached fuel pipes, wiring etc.

Edited by MatthewsDad, 09 January 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#7 Chris Bone

Chris Bone

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

MatthewsDad,

Yep, the bracket in which the tank strap bolt screws into is causing me the grief. I will try and post a picture of it later on. The filler neck is loose as I have removed the rubber grommet and moves freely. I wouldn't rule out your point regarding the bottom seam of the tank rusting into the floor of the boot but I can move the tank up to the point where it fouls on the underside of the parcel shelf (as I try and lift the tank over this bracket).  

Thank you for trying to help me so far.

Chris

#8 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

It's difficult to picture what might be holding it back. The tank doesn't quite come out horizontally as you you need to tilt and rotate it to ease the filler neck through the hole while at the same time easing it over the bracket. If the tank is reasonably full the added weight can make this manoeuvre a bit of a struggle. Have you removed the boot lid? This might help with access.

#9 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

You need to make sure that even the breather line is disconnected, so the tank will come out.

IMG_1145_zps86chvhub.jpgIMG_1143_zpsaf4ce4ai.jpg

IMG_1142_zpsvuhnmjpu.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsi7jwa3vc.jpg

#10 Chris Bone

Chris Bone

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

I will have some spare time this weekend to have another attempt and will remove the boot lid as suggested (this looks like it would help). Also, I will remove the breather pipe (although I did think i could do this with the tank in the middle of the boot). Anyway, I would just like to clarify that the pictures below demonstrate what other people come across which is the tank snagging half way up the hinge and then not going any further because the top of the tank is fouling on the underside of the parcel shelf? 

I have uploaded the photos to photo bucket as they were too large for the forum - link here

Chris

Edited by Chris Bone, 16 January 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#11 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

I had mine out last weekend and did not need to remove the boot lid though I did cover it and the boot floor with towels and sheets to protect from scratching. Bit of a wiggle and a second set of hands helps. Just make sure to plug all the lines into the tank with bolts or something.

Tank%20out_zps6ekeyk8p.jpg

#12 Chris Bone

Chris Bone

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

This morning I decided to tackle the fuel tank once more and removed the boot lid as well as the strap bolt hinge which was causing me the problems. Once these were removed it was a piece of cake and the tank came out easily. The last component I removed was the breather pipe. 

After inspecting the tank it was clear where the leak was coming from and it looks like it was punctured by the after market suspension thread which protrudes quite extensively through its mounting. I guess it was punctured during installation or the tank became loose and start to foul on the thread when being driven over bumpy roads (although it was secured well from memory). Anyway; I am glad that the tank is now out (even after a number of attempts) and I can now look forward to correcting the source of the issue and the tank itself. Thank you for your support to date, it has been much appreciated. 

Chris

#13 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Great know that you finally got the tank out.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users