4 replies to this topic

#1 DylanDrury

DylanDrury

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

Will a mk1 door fit on my 2000 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3? How easy is it to fit exterior door hinges to a newer model?

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

a mk1 door will not fit without major work, the mk1 type inner and outer a panels, a post and b post would be required, then the actual height of door is different so would need work in that area. I think the lack of of proper anti burst door locks on a later car would be an issue with insurance as well.

#3 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

MK1 doors are entirely different and won't fit without serious modifications to the body.

External hinges can be fitted but require reinforcement to the door and A-panel where the hinges will bolt on.

There are quite a few subject on here about it if you don't mind spending a while getting to know the forums search function.

#4 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

My recently purchased pickup has been converted to internal hinges and I'll be changing back. It's going to be major work. The main part that's causing me the most concern is that the top of the door sits slightly lower in the shell, so there is more side panel between the bottom of the roof gutter and the top of the door. This section doesn't seem to be available to buy, so I'll need to obtain a roof and pillars section from a dead pickup, van, or mk1 I think and then cut out the relevant section and stitch this in. All the other parts seem to be available.

Edited by g111mds, 12 January 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

Will a mk1 door fit on my 2000 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3? How easy is it to fit exterior door hinges to a newer model?

The easy and quick answer is 'No'. The amount of work and cost of new panels is huge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users