8 replies to this topic

#1 Ricewind

Ricewind

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

I would like to introduce you to my latest project for this year +. I won this Berkeley T60 with an 850 Mini engine, sub frame etc about three years ago.

berkeley_t60_1_zps4xqvw0q9.jpg

P1050668_zpswlcant3u.jpg

P1050667_zpsp2kaiydd.jpg

As you can see it is a reverse trike. The plan is to put a 1380 engine that I have gathering dust in my workshop. You may think that a 1380 is a bit excessive but having had one for 14 years as my everyday car covering some 200,000 miles I know from experience just how good this hybrid can be. I used to deliver logs in a trailer with it and even towed a small caravan, although the most impressive thing was the way it handled making it for the ultimate Q car.

Balinda%20025_zpsat0bnvjw.jpg

​Unfortunately I no longer have it after hitting some flood water and then a tree where I parted company James Bond style through the roof (without a trap door) back in 2004.

Berkeley-1380_zpsp1hbithm.jpg

I survived the incident with a couple of minor (stable) fractures to the neck and a more serious nerve damage to my right arm that, has never been right since. 

The Berkeley T60 was a small micro car with a 328cc Talisman twin two stroke engine. Both my cars were originally converted by Dave Ratner a early Mini enthusiast. As you can see the by the green Berkeley in this photograph where it appears to be dwarfed by the much heavier Smart Car.

Bath%20micro%2006%20011_zps4sx99iju.jpg

Balinda%20025_zpsat0bnvjw.jpg

Edited by Ricewind, 23 January 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#2 Ricewind

Ricewind

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

When I said I won it I meant at an auction and not out of a cracker or as a raffle prize. The one with the white roof is my sadly departed previous one, may she rest in pieces :angel: .

#3 Piglet

Piglet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

Cool looking car in quirky kinda way. As for you, takes large knackers to get back in something that nearly killed you, let alone stick 1380 in it. I'm sure it is a blast to drive though!

#4 Ricewind

Ricewind

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

Cool looking car in quirky kinda way. As for you, takes large knackers to get back in something that nearly killed you, let alone stick 1380 in it. I'm sure it is a blast to drive though!

I would have replaced it as soon as I came out of the hospital if it were possible. Not too many about and that one was quite unique. I will try to replicate it as much as possible or as far as reasonably affordable. I had metro discs on previous but think I might stick to drums (superfins on wish list). I have yet to ascertain what crown wheel and pinion I have in the A+ lump, the old one had a 2.95/1 and I expect this is a standard 3.1/1. If it is then the top speed will be a little less. With a very good CD factor and such a small frontal area the last one, according to the sat nav gave me 150mph at 7,000 rpm on 13 inch wheels, but that engine was built by Jonspeed of Nuneaton in the late 90's so this one may not be as good. A 3.1/1 should be able to propel it 142 if it anything like the previous, which is more than enough to get me locked up.  

#5 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

that would be nuts with a decent lump in, what do they weigh?

#6 Ricewind

Ricewind

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

that would be nuts with a decent lump in, what do they weigh?

The original would have been 316kg I think, about half the weight of a Mini but mine is a bit heavier although I have yet to weigh this one. the original car would have had a Royal Enfield   Excelsior Talisman Twin 325cc two stroke engine.

Edited by Ricewind, 18 January 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#7 Vic Price

Vic Price

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Most common engine in a t60 Berkley was a 328cc Excelsior two stroke twin I had several, Also a B90 with a 500cc Excelsior triple two stroke. The royal Enfield twin was fitted to B95 and B105.

#8 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

What a fantastic machine would love to have a go in one of these,I have first hand experience of painful nerve damage after having extensive damage to my spine repaired your right you are never the same.hope you will start a thread on here to keep us upto date

#9 Ricewind

Ricewind

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Most common engine in a t60 Berkley was a 328cc Excelsior two stroke twin I had several, Also a B90 with a 500cc Excelsior triple two stroke. The royal Enfield twin was fitted to B95 and B105.

Yes you are right they were Excelsior Talisman Twin, I should have remembered as I once had a DMW motorcycle with a 250cc Talisman twin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users