23 replies to this topic

#16 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

Funny this. I have been looking for one of these airboxes for years. Always thought they were a cool little touch. Thats all though. I highly doubt there is any gains from it. I'm just a sucker for gen JCG stuff...but not THAT much a sucker. Good lord! Thats just a slap in the face.

#17 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:59 AM

The idea is it would allow more air to be taken in. However, it's shorter than the original one and would take in more warm air from the engine bay, lowering performance. So any gains you got from more air would probably be cancelled out by the air temperature.

#18 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Apparently its a 1bhp gain.

I did question the pricing of a few things over on the Cooper S Facebook page, and Mike Cooper himself was not happy with me...

https://www.facebook...79110828768431/

#19 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Latest kits are just an expensive marketing ploy, and this piece just shows the sheer greed IMO. I did lots of 3d printed parts for my Uni final year project (car design), and know I could have on printed in ABS for less. 

May have to fire up the old 3d printer ;)

#20 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

If we believe that such a simple piece of tube could give a 10bhp increase (that equates to about 15%) then we deserve to be parted from our hard earned cash. I know that we think many of the folk involved with the development of the MPI were a few sandwiches short of a picnic but do we seriously believe that the piece of plastic tube which was original fitment just happened by chance? The accountants may have had too much say in the dying years of Rover but many thousands of hours of development went into that induction system and they would not have missed the chance of 10 free BHP with such a simple redesign.
For me, those vastly overpriced pieces of tube can stay on the shelf.

#21 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

This is clear Cooper tax at work. Mike Cooper is talking out of his posterior in terms of tooling etc. If he was making 10, then I'd agree with the price, but they've made hundreds.

#22 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:41 AM

Actually I believe it was 10. Back in December I was talking to the guy who initiated the re-manufacture. He was prompted by the fact there was a small demand from enthusiasts including himself. The Cooper Car Company decided to approve them and sell them. All the original tooling was gone and it is not as if there are hundreds of new Cooper conversions being done.  Taking into account all the time taken to create the prototype and test and reject samples until it was right I doubt very much if Cooper or MiniSport are making a fortune out of these.

Original Cooper conversions have more than repaid their original investment. This could well happen for the new editions in time.

#23 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:20 AM

They are still being made for the Cooper S conversion kits also. No company in their right mind would make 10 items after the cost of tooling, it is beyond economy of effort!

#24 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:49 AM

MOQ's from china would be 3 figures easily, having designed something more complex in ABS at work in China recently, with the current price they'd probably have to sell less than 30 to get their investment  in tooling back. 

Edited by Midas Mk1, 20 January 2017 - 07:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users