Photo

Is My Method Of Side Mount Fixing Plausible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozz1

ozz1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

Would this be msa compliant and is it any good? As far as I can see it would prevent deformation to the floor in cornering.

My seat needs to be an inch further up the tunnel to clear the roll cage but the side mount needs a flat surface.

I would use 50x50 2.5mm box section, drill an 8mm hole and enlarge it to 13mm so I can drop an m8 down there to go through the floor (at multiple points). I would grind one end to the same profile of the tunnel and have the bolt at the very end (within reason) which buys me some extra room in the tunnel direction. 

Hopefully drawings will explain

I'm aware of kits you can weld from sill to tunnel (JCC race and rally) - my aversion is laziness and a desire not to spend £43 if I can help it...however if my idea is flawed I will have no choice.

Would be interesting to have some opinions.

Thanks, Oscar 

Attached Files

Edited by ozz1, 13 January 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

That's pretty much how Swiftune app-k shells have their seat mounts done only their box section as welded to the floor.

#3 ozz1

ozz1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

That's pretty much how Swiftune app-k shells have their seat mounts done only their box section as welded to the floor.

Reassuring!

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I us box section but welded between tunnel and sill with a gap underneath - depends on what you're doing, but in rallying this prevents any impacts on the floor coming up through the seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users