cookiemonster1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hello all,

I've recently bought myself a 1976 clubman after wanting a mini for years and I'm chuffed with it.

It only came with a single ignition key and recently I've been having issues with getting the key slide fully into the barrel and also removing it when parked. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it just won't have it. I'm worried about the key shearing and me ending up knackered as it's the only key!

After looking into it I found it I can't buy a new ignition barrel and steering lock and am struggling to find one online as (sods law) they changed in 1976.

Question is can I fit an ignition barrel and steering lock that was standard from 1976 to the 90's (I think)? I know I'd need to get a new column surround but for starters is it even possible?

Much appreciated!

#2 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

I had a key which was slightly worn and only slightly bent from wear and had similar issues.

There's a couple of things you could try to save some money.

1. For the sake of the cost of a new key get a new key cut. You may find it's not the barrel.

2. The barrel may be seized if it's not been lubricated. Traditional method of lubricating locks is to use graphite powder. Now you could go buy some but you can make it yourself by using a metal nail file and a lead pencil.  Use a knife to cut the wood surround of the pencil to expose the lead and file the lead. Hey presto, graphite powder. Obviously if you've got an automatic pencil, don't use a knife to cut the plastic surround and just file a replacement lead refill. :-)

Now, put some of the powder on the key and a tiny amount in the barrel. Insert the key gently a few times, adding more powder if needed. Turning the key will get the graphite into the barrel mechanism.

Hope this helps.

#3 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

have you got a pic of your steering column barrel etc, and have you looked on the sommerford mini site as they sell lots of stuff that people cant find on other sites

http://www.somerford...d=steering lock

#4 cookiemonster1

cookiemonster1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I didn't think I could get new ignition keys cut? Not sure why but I think I've seen it somewhere on here...

I've tried to lubricate with WD40 and the barrel moves freely when the key engages it just feels like something hasn't fully retracted or rotated to allow the key to move freely. Sometimes the barrel moves into the surround about 5mm or so which makes me think something has come loose...

I have got any decent pics of this area but I'll get one on asap. My barrel sits perpendicular to the steering column similar to the past fitted from 97 onwards (as shown in your link to somerfords). I don't think that one would work as it would have a different connector to the loom?

#5 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

Ones popped up on Ebay - PM sent.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users