21 replies to this topic

#16 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone know what core sizes they had, as looking into these they can range from 40mm to a massive 70mm, that would be serious cooling and serious mods needed. Maybe people who didn't notice any difference of alloy and uprated 2core, were running 40mm core size?

#17 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

The thermal conductivity of alloy is much less than copper of equal thickness. That is hard fact, and can't be changed by any amount of hype. Therefore an ali radiator of the same dimensions and construction as copper is going to be woefully inadequate.

What can change is the thickness. Thinner wall tube means less thermal resistance between coolant and air. Much lower density of ali means that geometry can maybe improved without it becoming too heavy.

But in general they are non repairable, unlike copper. They also have a very finite fatigue life. If they are adhesive bonded, how long before the bonding starts to peel?

Ali may be cheaper than copper....

So in a given situation there may or may not be some advantage. Personally I would not waste my money. I like things that will be durable over high mileage. A low mileage car, where you are willing to take a risk on an item of unknown provenance and probably no quality control at all, may be another thing altogether.

#18 psychobob

psychobob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

My cheap chinese ebay one has been on now for 4+ years, and done about 20000 miles. Its still woking fine, and with a bit of autosol, it's still really shiny! (the Important bit, obviously).

#19 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

The thermal conductivity of alloy is much less than copper of equal thickness. That is hard fact, and can't be changed by any amount of hype. Therefore an ali radiator of the same dimensions and construction as copper is going to be woefully inadequate.

What can change is the thickness. Thinner wall tube means less thermal resistance between coolant and air. Much lower density of ali means that geometry can maybe improved without it becoming too heavy.

But in general they are non repairable, unlike copper. They also have a very finite fatigue life. If they are adhesive bonded, how long before the bonding starts to peel?

So in a given situation there may or may not be some advantage. Personally I would not waste my money. I like things that will be durable over high mileage. A low mileage car, where you are willing to take a risk on an item of unknown provenance and probably no quality control at all, may be another thing altogether.

In your oppinion..........

#20 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

Yet to see any evidence of a mini from tiger... Always gives us a laugh anyway..

#21 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

A quick google shows that this is a bit of a debate as to which is better, but if you don't try you don't know what your missing and if you get one from a good dealer then a year warranty at the least, maybe it's like the theory of the bumble bee can't fly but it does(or is that an urban mith!).

#22 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:57 AM

Worth a read - http://www.cgj.com/2...e-great-debate/

I personally always use an alloy radiator where I can. Despite copper/brass having a better conductivity, in application an alloy radiator will far outweigh in benefits and will actually cool just as well in real terms. This is mainly due to the construction as you can build alloy radiators with better cores allowing for less restrictive flow to get the heat away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users