22 replies to this topic

#16 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

If you're wanting smooth engine and are getting it all balanced, then also worth checking that the combustion chamber volumes in the head are all identical. Ideally you want these all to within 0.1cc.

And don't assume that a standard or professionally modified head will be to this standard... I have a (well known name) fast road head on the bench and the difference between smallest and largest chamber is 0.8cc (22.2, 22.3, 21.5, 21.8). Pants.

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

If you're wanting smooth engine and are getting it all balanced, then also worth checking that the combustion chamber volumes in the head are all identical. Ideally you want these all to within 0.1cc.

And don't assume that a standard or professionally modified head will be to this standard... I have a (well known name) fast road head on the bench and the difference between smallest and largest chamber is 0.8cc (22.2, 22.3, 21.5, 21.8). Pants.

Absolutely right. 

Whilst it is difficult to measure the volumes accurately, it is not too hard to get to within 0.25cc per chamber even with basic measuring kit like a syringe and a sheet of 1/8" thick perspex. Professionals should get to within 0.1 cc.

#18 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Absolutely right. 

Whilst it is difficult to measure the volumes accurately, it is not too hard to get to within 0.25cc per chamber even with basic measuring kit like a syringe and a sheet of 1/8" thick perspex. Professionals should get to within 0.1 cc.

Thanks Cooperman,

Getting accurate and repeatable chamber measurements does not cost much. I use a digital balance reading to 0.05gram which cost about £10 and a block of blue plasticene from Hobbycraft which was £2. This is a very quick way of checking variations in chamber volume.

PS. Density of the blue Hobbycraft plasticene is 1.65 grams per cc. Other colours also available.

#19 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Excellent to know, I was unaware.
My head is at the shop now, I'll call him and ask him to verify the cc of each chamber and alter as necessary.
Great bit of info. Cheers

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

AC Dodd has just posted a video on face book showing a really out of balance flywheel.

#21 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=bQWBcCKpeeE

Ac

#22 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:11 PM   Best Answer

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=bQWBcCKpeeE
Ac

Great video thanks

#23 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

I've called my preferred machine shop, cost to balance is $230 is £133. Including tax.
I will be booking this in.
Thanks for all the advice and opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users