Robdavmtb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

Hello

Any ideas?

I have 12x5 on and I find that when driving if I go through a compression the tyres will foul the rear arches and are wearing though the plastic arches. Basically bottoming out.

The car is on hi lows. But not lowered really. About 50_60 mm arch gap.

I was told I need shocks for a lowered car as I suppose it is lower than STD. So I bought some gaz shocks for a lowered car.

And it still does it.

I tried to stiffen the shocks and found that even a few clicks on the shock settings really stiffened the rear end and even found that the rear would squat down and not return to normal height.

Do the arches have to be cut to run 12s?
Does anyone else have to run gaz rear shocks almost open?

Thanks

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

What is the offset of the rims and what tyres?

#3 Robdavmtb

Robdavmtb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

Yoko A539. I don't know the offset but they sit flush in the wood and Pickett arches

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

Shocks do not effect ride height. Short end shocks will not stop tyre hitting arch.

Poor springs/too low a ride height are the issue.

Raise the suspension.

#5 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

Yes, suspension too low. but the short shocs are good in this situation as they stop the suspension extending too far as this could lead to your cones and trumpets falling out of the subframe.

Edited by THE ANORAK, 15 January 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Yoko A539. I don't know the offset but they sit flush in the wood and Pickett arches

Doesn't really help. What tyre SIZE? 145, 165, 175, etc? What's marked on tyre walls.

Offset should be marked on rims as ET value. Probably on back of wheel.

Edited by gazza82, 15 January 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#7 Robdavmtb

Robdavmtb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Ok I can raise it on the hi lows. But I don't think the car is low. When at the shows most minis have next to no room between tyre and arch. Mine looks stock compared.

#8 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

On my 1998 Mini Cooper, bog standard, on the standard 4.5x12 wheels, in 1998, I fitted the 165 tyres and they rubbed at the rear.  I had to fit spacers to clear

Thats on a brand new standard car.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

On my 1998 Mini Cooper, bog standard, on the standard 4.5x12 wheels, in 1998, I fitted the 165 tyres and they rubbed at the rear.  I had to fit spacers to clear

Thats on a brand new standard car.

Totally different issue.

#10 Robdavmtb

Robdavmtb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Could the cones be worn or too soft so it is going through the travel to easy?

#11 GreenMini17

GreenMini17

Formally known as Chris-G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

I had this problem also. Everyone would say "your car is obviously too low" when it wasn't. I tried stiffening the dampers to maximum and no change. In the end the cure was to fit a rear anti-roll bar. It worked a treat!! I used a KAD one as the rest on the market look crap! Hope this helps.

#12 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

Ok I can raise it on the hi lows. But I don't think the car is low. When at the shows most minis have next to no room between tyre and arch. Mine looks stock compared.

But, do you know how those other show Minis ride? People can go to quite an extreme for looks and accolades.  :-)

Dave

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:48 PM

I had this problem also. Everyone would say "your car is obviously too low" when it wasn't. I tried stiffening the dampers to maximum and no change. In the end the cure was to fit a rear anti-roll bar. It worked a treat!! I used a KAD one as the rest on the market look crap! Hope this helps.

An anti roll bar will not help if your ride height is too low or your springs are too soft.

#14 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

The ultimate solution is to tub the rear wheel arches as there is no room for a wide positive offset wheel to gain full travel inside the standard wheel arch profile.
The wheel arch shape was designed to house a 3.5" wide wheel and the shape didn't change between 1959 and 2001.

You could fit Mini Spares red spot cones to stiffen the suspension and wind up the dampers to slow the movement of the of the wheel as it travels over bumps but that will lead to a rather rough ride.
The only other sinsible solution is to raise the ride height until it stops rubbing.

An anti roll bar will help in corners but won't have a lot effect in a straight line.

#15 GreenMini17

GreenMini17

Formally known as Chris-G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

An anti roll bar will not help if your ride height is too low or your springs are too soft.

Having had exactly the same issue as the this guy, I can assure you it does!! It may not be what an anti-roll bar is designed for, but it solved the problem. I can even soften my dampers right off so I get a decent ride quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users