#31 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

I'm not questioning the legality, comparing a car for FIA spec to a road car is pointless, has it got a FIA cage, internal fuel lines, battery cutoff, battery feed run inside, FIA seats and harnesses? Blocking the vents off for road use because it is in 'some' track use makes no sense to me.

None completely standard,on all the minis I have helped restore(circa 10 cars over the past 6 years) all have had standard fresh air vent corrosion(holes), we plate all the holes up so its easier to clean than with the pipes fitted

#32 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Agree Cal, Especially with the weather we are getting at the moment ...cold/light drizzle. I don't use my heater,but have the setting on screen,noticed coming home from S/port when I first got the Mayfair, that the screen misted up shorly after moving off.

Like you I just opened my window a fraction...about 1/4" from the pillar,which is about 1/2" to 3/4" from the door frame top.Not enough to get a cold neck and cleared the screen fast. ;D

#33 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Agree Cal, Especially with the weather we are getting at the moment ...cold/light drizzle. I don't use my heater,but have the setting on screen,noticed coming home from S/port when I first got the Mayfair, that the screen misted up shorly after moving off.
Like you I just opened my window a fraction...about 1/4" from the pillar,which is about 1/2" to 3/4" from the door frame top.Not enough to get a cold neck and cleared the screen fast. ;D

That's exactly how I drive, even on the rain lol

#34 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

I had to repair the flitch panel a few years ago as it had rotted out around the vent hole - what a daft idea to use a sponge seal, great for soaking up the water and creating a nice corrosive poultice, and the crap that gathers on top of the elephants trunk - what!!!! :angry: Didn't bother re-creating one of the worst rust traps on the car and the de-mister seemed to work fine - once I got the heater to actually work  :shy:

#35 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

A nice mod, if you could make it work, would be to move the air intake to the scuttle as on most cars. I hate those ugly ducts. Tricky on a Mini but a welded in underscuttle box would even add some crash protection.

I have a few ideas but will leave you to have a think about what to do with wipers (can't remove these!) and other bits in that area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users