10 replies to this topic

#1 angrymotor

angrymotor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

Hi, I'm in the process of cleaning up my floor/sills for and have noticed the floor seems to be slightly bowed/droopy on both sides just rearwards of the front seat hook bracket things (technical term...).

Does anyone know what will cause this? It's the same on both sides, I'll be replacing the plated excuses for sills anyway and the heelboard, the car technically still has 6 months mot left on it despite this

Just about visible in this pic:
DSC_0453_zpsizosnapa.jpg

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

It's just had huge really crap repairs at some point. Would be looking at half floors if it were me I think

#3 rhys-89

rhys-89

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: minifreekz

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

The dip your talking about is where someone has fitted front floor pans in the past.good luck with the repair work.

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

past repair work only one way to deal with that and thats cut it out, and fit a large lump of floor :)

#5 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

yes , agree with others , the size of that floor repair warrants a half floor , check out my playlist of my floor replacments , https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3DR9ASwHVgSU2XYURnVUGPvaCdFTfYA9 

not professing to be expert by any means, but should give you some ideas.

#6 angrymotor

angrymotor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Cheers guys, thought as much. Half floors it is (which will be flat...) saves me stripping the other half of the floor of underseal, horrible job!

#7 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Well I bought an m machine fully assembled floor for my mk2 and can confirm that from behind cross member to the heel board it does bow slightly, have also looked at some original cars and they do the same. it is straight along the sill line and tunnel though.
It is a long unsupported panel.

#8 Marco1972

Marco1972

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hi

Yes mine bows a little driver side mainly I've replaced inner sill and outer sill
As above mine is straight along the tunnel and sill
it is just basically a sheet of 0.9 mm steel so like any other panel it will flex

Mark

#9 angrymotor

angrymotor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Makes sense. I daresay with a proper set of sills on it'll be a bit stiffer down the sides than with multiple plates at the moment. I'll get some bracing in between the doors and get rid of them, see how much is solid underneath!

Having a poke through the heelboard hole looks like the inner sill isn't attached to the floor either so things will be a bit flimsy...

DSC_0454_zpsbdcflx9s.jpg

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

If the other side is that bad i would seriously consider going for a full floor including heelboard. Its a bit of a mess to say the least. 

#11 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Surely very much less work too? No full length butt welds, just spot or plug around the edges and a little bit of seam in a few places. But good bracing is essential, although not difficult.

A full floor includes the inner sills and tunnel and those should prevent it bowing. Even more so if using one of the pre-assembled floors with outer sills too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users