#1 pipsovich

pipsovich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Hello!

First post in forum for me, hopefully many more to come.

I have a 1978 leyland mini 1000 currently completely stock. Ive had a few different ideas, was going for vauxhall x16xe swap but changed my mind as i like old tuned engines more and the car is not going to be used that much.

So ive found this guy on eBay selling various engines that are rebuilt and it SEEMS good but i want to ask the question here before i order one.

His username i "miniengz" on ebay and here's a link to the engine:

http://www.ebay.co.u...OX/302194484745

Is it any good?

Brgs,

Peter from Sweden

#2 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

I'm sure members have had bad experiences from this guy , just hang fire untill someone can confirm what I am thinking

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hello!

I have a 1978 leyland mini 1000 currently completely stock. Ive had a few different ideas, was going for vauxhall x16xe swap but changed my mind as i like old tuned engines more and the car is not going to be used that much.

So ive found this guy on eBay selling various engines that are rebuilt and it SEEMS good but i want to ask the question here before i order one.

Is it any good?

Brgs,

Peter from Sweden

in Bradford, west Yorks?

forget it, search the forum for the user name.

http://www.theminifo...gz#entry3422027

Join TMF+ and then buy one from MiniSpares with your 7.5% discount.

#4 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Interesting advert, does not say new crank bearings or if the crank is re ground. The head is also not ported. I would look carefully at the wording here. Also as a sanity check

, Add up the cost of all the parts and see what price you get to use minispares and make alist I think you might find it is not full of new parts.

Ac

#5 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

R u guys beat me too it thought I was right

#6 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

The same unit from me would be £4 to £5k full of new parts.

Ac

Edited by ACDodd, 16 January 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#7 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hello!

Is it any good?

Brgs,

Peter from Sweden

in Bradford, west Yorks?

forget it, search the forum for the user name.

http://www.theminifo...gz#entry3422027

Join TMF+ and then buy one from MiniSpares with your 7.5% discount.

I think the is a safer way, you will have all the back up and guaranty from Minispares if something is not right. just 5GBP for TMF+ member, then 7.5% discount, you could even call them to ask about price.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

You would be better buying a good used 1275 block and getting a reputable company like ACDodd to rebuild it going to the next size overbore and taking advice on the best spec for the use to which you want to put the car.

It may cost slightly more than is being asked for the engine in ebay, but it will be right in every way. There is little point in putting a better cam in a block bored to 1380 unless the head is properly gas-flowed and the build done very accurately.

There is nothing 'magic' about going to 1380 except that the economical life of the block is reduced. Unless for out-and-out competition, the best option is to go from 1275 to 1293, then 1310, then 1330. When the 1330 needs a re-bore it can easily be sleeved back to 1275 for a sensible price.

#9 pipsovich

pipsovich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Thanks guys for very fast answers. As i thought it was too good to be true.

I tried googling his username, and searching in the forum but i just wanted to be completely sure.

Been looking at engines from minispares.com , and their prices are higher for the same spec, and does not include gearbox.

Really lucky i did proper research....

If i could find a 1275 motor i would probably build one myself - doesnt have to be really high spec but around 80 hp would be nice.

Engines are hard to find around here.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

to be honest the MiniSpares prices are cheap for what they are.

don't forget that you can use your gearbox with no issues.

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

Don't bother get a 998 and drive the nuts off it. Far more fun having to be flat out just to keep up! Lol

#12 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

The problem with buying these engines off of ebay unless there is proof it came from a respected builder (and even then you don't know if it worn out and that is the reason it is being sold) It that is the components aren't properly matched up you can buy a 1380cc that is making less power than a standard 1275cc. If you look in the mini mags when they do club dyno days there are minis there making really low outputs for all the work and ccs that has gone into the engine. Buy from a respected builder I believe Keith Calver does the mini spares head porting.

#13 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

False advertising with the "120bhp" too. I'd buy an engine of him and then file a claim over eBay just to learn this guy a lesson.
For that price I can't believe that it's a rebuilt block,head and box making 120 bhp.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

The problem with buying these engines off of ebay unless there is proof it came from a respected builder (and even then you don't know if it worn out and that is the reason it is being sold) It that is the components aren't properly matched up you can buy a 1380cc that is making less power than a standard 1275cc. If you look in the mini mags when they do club dyno days there are minis there making really low outputs for all the work and ccs that has gone into the engine. Buy from a respected builder I believe Keith Calver does the mini spares head porting.

correct and Bill Richards supplies the Short engines.

#15 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

Interesting how the "watermark" on the fleabay pictures is "mymini15" which doesn't match the sellers name ... or was that a previous name .. and how quickly will he disappear and re-appear with a different moniker!

You you don't even know if you get a clean shiny new red one either! (Methinks you probably don't .. )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users