mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Seen in Classic Car weekly......

"Currently if you aren’t using your vehicle on a road or in a public area you can make a Statuary Off Road Notification (SORN) declaration. This would mean that you’re exempt from paying Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and having motor insurance. With the upcoming Motor Insurance Review we could see this changing, so will SORN vehicles need insurance?"

"After a recent EU ruling known as the ‘Vnuk Judgement’ the UK Government is reviewing the current motor insurance laws. The main aim is to make it easier for victims of a motor accident on private land to claim compensation.

Currently we’re all required to have at least third party insurance on a motor vehicle which we intend to use on roads or in public areas. This could be set to change, and we could potentially see a wider range of motor vehicles needing insurance, in a wider range of circumstances.

There are two main options being considered by the Government, the Comprehensive option and the Amended Directive option. Depending on which one is chosen will determine whether SORN vehicles need insurance."

The Government have opened a survey to the public regarding the Motor Insurance Review. You’ve got until March 2017 to complete the online survey.

More Here:-

http://www.heritagec...need-insurance/

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

to be honest having a storage cover is not a bad idea.

but it will lead to more cars being scrapped unless it is a peppercorn insurance.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Just declare any SORN cars 'permanently exported' and return the V5. Then 're-import' the car when the need came to use it again. They never ask where it has gone, they just mark it exported then re-issue the old number when it re-appears. I have done this a couple of times in a genuine way. 

#4 Danyul1275

Danyul1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Just declare any SORN cars 'permanently exported' and return the V5. Then 're-import' the car when the need came to use it again. They never ask where it has gone, they just mark it exported then re-issue the old number when it re-appears. I have done this a couple of times in a genuine way. 

I didn't know that was a thing! Gives me abit more hope finding my old mini which has an export marker against it on dvla  :D  Although I still very much doubt I will ever find it again.

More on topic, I insured mine while it was SORN just for piece of mind incase it was to get stolen or damaged

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

My restoration projects are covered by my household insurance as they are part of the stuff in my garage/workshop listed as parts, spares and tools. Except the fully road-worthy cars which are on classic policies of their own. How can a fully stripped 850 Mini be classed as a car needing RTA insurance.

Would a body-shell, a couple of sub-frames, and engine and gearbox and a load of wiring and trim, all scattered around the workshop and store-rooms be insurable as a car anyway. It might be insurable as a restoration project, but that would not be RTA insurance for TP, F & T or fully-comp.

Bloody ridiculous. Still, we'll be out of the lunacy that is the EU soon - can't be soon enough.

Edited by Cooperman, 16 January 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#6 Rob Gavin

Rob Gavin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

reading the statement, is it not about people being able to recover/ claim if injured while not on the public highway?  In that case, it could relate to cars at shows, on farms etc where they are not on the road but still being driven?

as for laid-up cover, its worth having anyway, given how much even the rough cars are worth now.  I was quoted £100 for 3 cars just before Christmas

#7 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Just done the survey, it would be better if it was in a way that could be understood.

#8 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Done it too.

I agree with it being wise to have off-road (in the garage) insurance but what a load of bureaucratic tosh this lot is :angry:

#9 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Is the link in the first post? https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/4CWY6/

ETA However going straight to the survey is no good as I have no understanding of what the questions relate to. ..

Edited by Artstu, 16 January 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#10 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

It's best to follow the link from the Heritage site and read the full proposal which will give a bit more info when filling in the survey, shows how stupid most of the proposals are :rolleyes:

#11 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Utter stupidity..

It seems like the Gov are cramming every bit of stupid legislation from the EU before we go, once we go they will still stand won't they?

I'm lucky enough to have a traders policy so I can put my stored projects on that but it's going to make trackdays and motorsport very expensive..

#12 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

I'd question if it was possible to actually do this - to extend the cover 'to make it easier for victims of a motor accident on private land to claim compensation' is almost impossible ...all the minibikes, quads and off-road cars and bikes out there would be almost impossible to trace, apply and enforce.  Many do not have any form of identification.

Another pointless EU driven directive

Funny how the second link is to a company who actually offers insurance??

Edited by DomCr250, 17 January 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Utter nonsense! We should all write to our MPS about this. It is a serious infringement of basic civil liberties. Having to insure what will effectively be just an immobile pile of junk till it finishes it's restoration? Ridiculous!

Driving dodgy vehicles of any sort on private land is another matter, and might need looking at, although normal liability laws apply.

Where you may NEED insurance is to protect your valuable project from fire and theft while it is in bits in the garage. The normal brokers can give you that cover cheaply while your car is off the road. But that is your option, you know the risks, and it only protects your finances, not other people, so it can't be made compulsory.

I get the feeling that those opposed to Brexit, and the will of the electorate, are frantically trying to rush through utterly mad legislation before Brexit happens. They MUST be stopped.

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Whilst my car is in hundreds of parts whilst it's SORN, which bit of it in particular am I insuring, all of them? Might just stick it all on the house insurance and be done ;)

Edited by Steve220, 19 January 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yes, it is hard to imagine how a total restoration project can be insured in a normal way. Although on SORN, the shell could be in one location, the engine at another and the gearbox at yet another.
Then all the other parts could be in store or being worked. The SORNed car could not be identified so how could it be insurable with a certificate issued?
The big question is what view an insurer would take on this. What sort of cover would they be prepared to offer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users