Photo
- - - - -

Reinforcement For Upper Coil-Over Mounts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dunejunkie

dunejunkie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hey guys,

I have a 74 Innocenti 1300 with a SOHC Honda d16z6. The car is currently sitting on Afco coil-overs in the front (possibly switching to the spax kit from minispares) and the original cone suspension in the rear with hi-los and adjustable camber/toe. I was wondering if you guys recommend reinforcing the upper shock mounts in the front when running coil-overs. If so, how would you do it? The cars were never designed to carry all of that weight on the wings, but then again I know coils have been run successfully. Also, should I go coils all around? Or is it ok to stick with the original suspension in the rear?

If it were my choice, I would ditch the coils and revert back to the original rubber suspension, but I have traveled too far down the dark path of the 16v swapped mini to go back now. 

Would love to hear some input on this guys. Cheers!

#2 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Reinforcing is definitely advisable! An extra plate welded to the existing inner wing is needed, I have could on the front and cones on the rear but like yourself I would like to revert to cones all round

#3 dunejunkie

dunejunkie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Reinforcing is definitely advisable! An extra plate welded to the existing inner wing is needed, I have could on the front and cones on the rear but like yourself I would like to revert to cones all round

What thickness plate do you think I would need? And would it go on the wheel well side, or the engine bay side?

Edited by dunejunkie, 16 January 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

i used 1/4 plate welded to the inner wing after removing the top original shock mount, all cut in to fill the gap, took some time but i think it was worth it

#5 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Wheel side, I can't recall off hand what thickness I used certainly .9 Mm or greater

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Where on the body, the original Shock Bracket bolts on is a fairly strong part of the shell, it's on either end of the Main Front End Bulkhead, however as the other guys have said, some beefing up of the actual mounting face would be helpful. 2 mm plate is quite adequate.

However, one problem with these mounts is the fasteners. The bolts screw in to a Bar (that's welded to the body) that has the holes threaded in to it and they are only 1/4" and they do pull out (strip). This plate isn't wide enough to go up to 5/16" fasteners, however what we do with them is to fit 1/4" x 1-1/4" Long Grade 12 Cap Head Set Screws from the Inside, so effectively you end up with studs. This then no longer relies on those threads. Fitted with Grade 12 Nuts, you can torque these up to 15 ft / lbs.

<EDIT: The Plate needs to be about 1" - or more - bigger on all sides than the 'footprint' of the Coil-Over Mounting Bracket. >

Edited by Moke Spider, 16 January 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

The shockers mount pretty much the same as where the subby does. The Mini specific front coilovers come with beefier brackets to relocate directly above the arm.

#8 dunejunkie

dunejunkie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

However, one problem with these mounts is the fasteners. The bolts screw in to a Bar (that's welded to the body) that has the holes threaded in to it and they are only 1/4" and they do pull out (strip). This plate isn't wide enough to go up to 5/16" fasteners, however what we do with them is to fit 1/4" x 1-1/4" Long Grade 12 Cap Head Set Screws from the Inside, so effectively you end up with studs. This then no longer relies on those threads. Fitted with Grade 12 Nuts, you can torque these up to 15 ft / lbs.

This was something I was worried about, as I already stripped one of the bolts and there wasn't enough material for me to helicoil it and be confident in its integrity. I used pretty much the same method in lieu of repairing the threads. I will definitely repeat that method for the remaining fasteners, seems a lot safer. I need to run to the welding store today for some metal plates and welding gas.

What kind of weld should I run? Should I just stitch the plate on? or should I run a bead around the whole plate? Or is it just preference? 

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

What kind of weld should I run? Should I just stitch the plate on? or should I run a bead around the whole plate? Or is it just preference? 

A few stitches would be all that would be needed, with 4 plugs around the centre and one further one in the centre. Then seem seal the rest of the edge to keep the moisture out, or run a welded bead right around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users