#1 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hey everyone

So I've taken another step closer to getting a custom watch business off the ground by launching a website. I would appreciate you checking it out and letting me know what you think.

http://hurstwatches.co.uk

I've created the site using a free website builder called ucraft. I took the images myself using a DIY lightbox and Nikon SLR. The Mini image came from a royalty free website so no copyright issues on that one.

I will be adding my next watch model, a chronograph, once the prototype is built and I have some worthy pictures taken. I'm also busy recording footage for youtube and I am trying to post regularly on Instagram.

Luke.

#2 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

Looks well built and high end.

As a consumer looking at a high end purchase "drop me a line" doesn't fit. Makes it look like you're running a small outfit from your house rather than an established outfit that will stand by you if something goes wrong.

The above isn't a critisism as such. Just an opinion and hope it's helps.

Product looks great

Edited by minihobbymini, 19 January 2017 - 07:28 PM.

#3 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Looks very classy. I need to set up a website for my own business (I make roof racks) how hard was it to do? bearing in mind I'm a complete technophobe!

#4 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

Looks we'll built and high end.

As a consumer looking at a high end purchase "drop me a line" doesn't fit. Makes it look like you're running a small outfit from your house rather than an established outfit that will stand by you if something goes wrong.

The above isn't a critisism as such. Just an opinion and hope it's helps.

Product looks great

Great feedback. I hadn't thought of it like that but you have a point! will get that changed.

Luke.

** EDIT - Just changed it to something a little more appropriate.

Edited by LukeH, 19 January 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#5 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Looks very classy. I need to set up a website for my own business (I make roof racks) how hard was it to do? bearing in mind I'm a complete technophobe!

Hi

It's really quite easy with ucraft and I've tried others. The key really is to get some decent images before you even start to tackle a website. With most modern websites, it's really the imagery that plays the biggest part.

ucraft lets you build a website from templates using drag and drop. All the coding is done for you, even with things like the feedback form. There really basic package is free too.

*I'm not connected to ucraft in anyway but I do work in IT so know tech stuff fairly well.

Luke.

#6 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

I'm (or was), before I left the UK, a graphic designer of 15 years, having a BA(Hons) in Design & Photography from Bristol Uni. 1990.

This is show some 'credibility' to my thoughts.

Ditto, all the above from previous comments. The white as background always works and shows your timepieces off, to their best.

A really great job, from a basic software package.

One thing though......

The photos don't look as good as they could be: a bit on the dark side, leaving the mid range tones dull - the detail of your hard work is missing.

IF you PM me with the photos, I'll have a go in PS, to see if I can get them to look better - don't worry, it's FREE.

again, apart from slightly less than perfect photos, its a really good site, especially for a first-timer!!

#7 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

I'm (or was), before I left the UK, a graphic designer of 15 years, having a BA(Hons) in Design & Photography from Bristol Uni. 1990.

This is show some 'credibility' to my thoughts.

Ditto, all the above from previous comments. The white as background always works and shows your timepieces off, to their best.

A really great job, from a basic software package.

One thing though......

The photos don't look as good as they could be: a bit on the dark side, leaving the mid range tones dull - the detail of your hard work is missing.

IF you PM me with the photos, I'll have a go in PS, to see if I can get them to look better - don't worry, it's FREE.

again, apart from slightly less than perfect photos, its a really good site, especially for a first-timer!!

Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that.

As someone who normally uses my mobile phone to take photos. I found it really hard to work with an SLR, possibly because I don't have a macro lense and possibly because I didn't get the lighting correct. I also think I need to remake my lightbox to provide a wider area to position the light(s).

Luke.

#8 morley

morley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Looks good, only recommendation would be to show a picture of the watch face head on and not on an angle.

I can see you show half of it with speedo in shot, but I am on my phone so could be different on a computer

#9 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I agree with the above website for the desktop looks well but some of the pics are abit awkward on my iPhone. A face on one would be great as above.

It still looks well on mobile it's just you can't see all of the 2 larger pics at the bottom on the mini and the face on of the watch. I fear that may be unavoidable so a pic of the watch face square on should go some way.

#10 Joe Nation

Joe Nation

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

+1 for a good full-face picture of the watch. Check out some other small watchmakers' websites to see how they set up their photos. If you want some help taking some more shots I'm only in Ipswich, I could bring my camera and lenses and we could have a little photo shoot (I have some macro tubes, I'd lend them to you but I use Pentax).

#11 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have now switched out the first image in the gallery to an almost face-on image. I suffered reflections when taking images straight on hence most are off to a very slight angle.

I clearly need to work on the images and plan to refine this with the next two watches I am working on. A battery quartz version of the CS1 automatic for a member on this forum and my new chronograph watch that isn't themed.

Really appreciate the great feedback!!

Luke.

#12 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

+1 for a good full-face picture of the watch. Check out some other small watchmakers' websites to see how they set up their photos. If you want some help taking some more shots I'm only in Ipswich, I could bring my camera and lenses and we could have a little photo shoot (I have some macro tubes, I'd lend them to you but I use Pentax).

Very kind offer. Really appreciate that. I will drop you a PM when the next couple of watches are ready for photo's to see if the offer still stands.

Luke.

#13 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

I like the look of the website and others have already offered feedback on that. The only thing I would say is you have Contzct Me, and I make each one. This creates the image of a one man band. I suspect the personal touch is what you are aiming for but there may be a chance it puts some people off. Also, it looks like you have Instagram and YouTube. As much as I hate it, you need to get to get on FB as well. It doesn't matter how great your product is, it won't sell if people don't know about it. You may have already done so but you need to get around a lot of the car forums.

I love the watch design, it looks smart. There are couple of things I would say though, if you don't mind. On the face, where it says 'Made in UK', would it be better as 'Made in the UK'? Also would it be an option to have the limited edition number there, I.e 1/79 or 29/79 etc?

Also, it's clearly representing a speedo, but does a company still own that design? I wouldn't want you getting in trouble for that further down the line. I don't know a great deal about copyright law etc. to know what constitutes using someone else's design.

I like the idea of the theme though, and turning your hobby into hopefully something profitable. Has your inspiration come from REC watches at all, who use recycled steel from minis in their watches?

I wish you luck in this endeavour!

Edited by Black.Ghost, 23 January 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#14 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Looks nice, nice product but need to see the watch properly.

#15 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

I like the look of the website and others have already offered feedback on that. The only thing I would say is you have Contzct Me, and I make each one. This creates the image of a one man band. I suspect the personal touch is what you are aiming for but there may be a chance it puts some people off. Also, it looks like you have Instagram and YouTube. As much as I hate it, you need to get to get on FB as well. It doesn't matter how great your product is, it won't sell if people don't know about it. You may have already done so but you need to get around a lot of the car forums.

I love the watch design, it looks smart. There are couple of things I would say though, if you don't mind. On the face, where it says 'Made in UK', would it be better as 'Made in the UK'? Also would it be an option to have the limited edition number there, I.e 1/79 or 29/79 etc?

Also, it's clearly representing a speedo, but does a company still own that design? I wouldn't want you getting in trouble for that further down the line. I don't know a great deal about copyright law etc. to know what constitutes using someone else's design.

I like the idea of the theme though, and turning your hobby into hopefully something profitable. Has your inspiration come from REC watches at all, who use recycled steel from minis in there watches?

I wish you luck in this endeavour!

Thanks for the feedback. All good stuff and I will check those typos you've spotted.

The "Made in UK" was in keeping with the speedo theme. I toyed with "UK Made", "Made in Britain" etc... however, "Made in UK" is what is says on the speedo that inspired me. Most luxury watches have "Swiss Made" or "Made in Germany" so I might change how it's written on different watches obviously with UK, Britain or England.

Not 100% sure about copyright on the design. The branding certainly is and I don't intend to go anywhere near it. Although I've clearly shown I have been  inspired by a Mini speedo you can draw similarities to any speedo of that era. Jaeger for example.

I hadn't come across REC watches before and having just done a quick google I will check them out. One problem with producing your own watches is that virtually every idea has been done before. I just intend to make watches that I would be happy to own and wear myself. If someone else likes them and ones to buy one that would also be great. I don't think for one minute that I will be giving up my day job anytime soon.

Luke.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users