6 replies to this topic

#1 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old chestnut ................. the Hammerite debate!

I have stripped the interior mini and removed the factory fitted layer of "underseal" so the car is back to metal.   This was to facilitate some welding work.

I would like to hammerite the interior floorpan before I add a layer of silentcoat to the top.   I bought a tin of hammerite smooth in silver which is not a million miles from the original paint.   I have read extensively the commentary on Hammerite being the devil's child but having spent £20 on a tin is there any downside to painting the interior with the hammerite as a preventative layer?

The silentcoat needs a clean non oily surface to bond to but the hammerite once dry should provide this.

Would welcome any suggestions.   

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Hammerite is not a good surface for bonding to. In any case you need a zinc based primer or something that reliably excludes air and water, such as etch followed by an epoxy primer on the bare metal. There are several other alternatives. But not Hammerite.

The primer may be porous and may need a top coat to seal it, depending on type.

Your Hammerite is best used on tools, lawn mowers, general ironmongery etc but please, not on the car.

#3 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Ok thanks I will take your advice :)

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thinking some more about what to do with your Hammerite, it would be ok on radius arms, upper and lower arms, and hubs. I was a bit too brief and just meant that it was not for sheet metal body parts or where it needed to be over coated with, in your case, a sound absorbing material. In these situations, rust prevention and the ability to have overcoats stick both matter. On a big hunk of metal these needs are not so acute.

#5 camrocok

camrocok

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

I might slap some in the battery tray which is showing some surface rust

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

That is one place where you do not need a good finish, just corrosion protection, so worth a try.

#7 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

I've just put a layer of silent coat down. If you do end up using it, Hammerite or POR 15 would need a good scotchbrite or keying before putting it on. Silent coat needs a good bond on to work properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users