Found my old thread

#17 hustybusty

hustybusty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the recent replys. The issue I had with the basecoat is I didn't prime over some stopper, schoolboy error but I'm sure I didn't with solvent on another one. To rectify I was able to wet sand back, reprime and re-apply the base in several light coats with the hairdryer in between coats. The finish was fairly uniform after laquering but the stopper still showed through. Probably because I did too light a coat of primer. As it was late and cold and dark I rushes the clearcoat and needed to sand back in places and given my clearcoat was too thin with too much overspray from naff all ventilation I went though and exposed base coat. At this point I reckoned I was polishing a turd and so am going to start again but this time ... solvent basecoat.

I've seen countless videos of people getting wonderful results with waterbased, but I'm just not that good to not have to rectify faults if which solvent would be far more forgivable and workable.

I might have a go with what I have left on a bumper perhaps and the also plastic spoiler in solvent as to compare the finishes.

Roll on better weather and thanks for all the information

#18 hustybusty

hustybusty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Seems you went through a similer ordeal to me shifty. Just brought a Devilbiss flg5 on recommendation from the gunmans reviews and figures it would be part way to your GTI. Previously I was using a conventional upol maximum 1.2. Did a bike frame with it last night and what a difference. I honestly believe the last 18 months of painting have been wasted with my upol gun. The devilbiss just pumps so much more paint and the fan seems to be infinity better , I appriciate it's a 1.4 not a 1.2 but I'm sure it's more than that. Also got the pps system so no more paint drips from the air hole dropping onto the roof whilst spraying facing downwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users