#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

Did you use the " Rule of Nine " to tighten up the cylinder head bolts in sequence ?

I've only ever heard of that for tappet adjustments, I didn't know there was one for the cylinder head nuts too?

I deviate slightly from the shop manuals, only because i can't remember that one. I just work in a 'spiral' from the front centre one and work out from there, in 10 ft/lb steps / stages.

#18 EAVB

EAVB

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Do you happen to know which Minispares head gasket it was?

The copper type are less forgiving than the later black composite ones with regard to any imperfections you may have around the waterways (if you have had the head and block faces machined then obviously this won't be an issue) it is not unusual to see pitting around the waterways on a used engine and some gaskets won't cover this.

A couple of years ago I was replacing a head gasket on my wife's car on a Sunday and the only gasket I could get locally was made by the British Gasket company and it was terrible! The holes in the gasket for the waterways were really misaligned. I ended up taking it back for a refund and driving to work to get a Payen gasket (which fitted properly and worked perfectly).

#19 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Which head-gasket are you using?  I always had problems with the BK450, swapped to the AF470 and never looked back.

#20 Seato65

Seato65

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

It's the black composite gasket from mini spares. I've just had a horrible thought - could i have put gasket on upside down? the oil drained very slowly out of rocker cover when i put it in - not sure if 1275 head is symmetrical or could i have blocked a few channels? Might this explain the leaking coolant?

I'm thinking i might just get another gasket, remove head, fill up with water (not coolant) and reseat everything - bloody annoying but probably best?

#21 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Get the 470 if you do:  http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#22 Seato65

Seato65

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Just fitted the new gasket - so much more substantial - thanks for advice. No leaks st all now.

....but now trying to fire engine without success. I have no spark! The dizzy on the 1275 is electronic. I attached the two leads coming from it to the coil. Is there something else I should be doing with respect to wiring. I'm now checking the leads etc but I'm not overly confident I have the wiring correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users