#1 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

I was at the gym tonight, and the usual 'gym music' starts playing. After a while the song below started playing. Took me right back primary school, with the disco they had every year, after school. Some songs really do take you back. :shades:

https://youtu.be/zA52uNzx7Y4?t=6

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

If we are reminiscing, do you know what record was at No.1 in the UK the day the Mini was launched in August 1959?

It was Living Doll by Cliff Richard. And yes, I do remember it very well :lol: . It's on YouTube.

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

If we are reminiscing, do you know what record was at No.1 in the UK the day the Mini was launched in August 1959?

It was Living Doll by Cliff Richard. And yes, I do remember it very well :lol: . It's on YouTube.

Classic

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Classic

The young ones version with cliff is great  :lol:

#5 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

I loved the young ones quite daring for the time

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

The late Summer and early Autumn in 1959 were quite special for those of us who were young back then.
We were on the edge of the 1960's with all that came with it.
There is no doubt that we were a very fortunate generation with so much to look forward to.
Jet travel across the Atlantic was quite new with a British aircraft being the first.
Britain had largely recovered from WW2 and now we had the Morris Mini-Minor & Austin Se7en to aspire to.
We had Rock and Roll, lovely girls in flared skirts and stockings, good beer and Jazz Clubs.
In fact it was just a wonderful time to be young.
I was 18 and an aeronautical student apprentice. We did block release at the Hatfield College of Technology and I joined the motor club and got into rallying that Autumn.
What great Memories!

#7 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

UK No.1 at the end of Mini production, October 2000.

A rather forgettable version of Against All Odds by Mariah Carey

Edited by pusb, 27 January 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

That could be a song about the Longbridge Factory :lol: . Kind of appropriate perhaps.

Just think of all the world events which took place during the time the classic Mini was in production. I think the one I most remember was the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962. We really did think that it could be the end and that nuclear war was likely within a few days. I was two months short of being 22 and I wondered if I would get to that birthday. What a sigh of relief we all breathed when the Russian ships turned around and went home. The RAF had nuclear-armed Victors and Vulcans on immediate readiness on UK bases able to go within 4 minutes. That was frightening for everyone. We got in our Minis and went to the pub!

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

That could be a song about the Longbridge Factory :lol: . Kind of appropriate perhaps.

Just think of all the world events which took place during the time the classic Mini was in production. I think the one I most remember was the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962. We really did think that it could be the end and that nuclear war was likely within a few days. I was two months short of being 22 and I wondered if I would get to that birthday. What a sigh of relief we all breathed when the Russian ships turned around and went home. The RAF had nuclear-armed Victors and Vulcans on immediate readiness on UK bases able to go within 4 minutes. That was frightening for everyone. We got in our Minis and went to the pub!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users