17 replies to this topic

#1 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:08 AM

I think I know the answer to this one from looking at the pictures, but any got one of these bottom door repairs are these completely straight or do they have a curve in them, as from looking at the pictures they look completely straight, but on the door they have a curve in them to match the door step. Link below of exactly which panel I'm on about.

http://minispares.co...4L.aspx|Back to

#2 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

They're completely straight

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

No they are not completely straight. The flange where the skin wraps around is curved and you need to be careful here as some of them are too curved.

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

So probably are most non-genuine replacement sills, which is just plain wrong, as the side of the Mini is intentionally curved.

In both cases the use of an English Wheel (you might need a special wheel profile) would allow the problem to be corrected. Or, lots of light hammering on a dolly to put a tiny amount of stretch where it is needed.

Needless aggro, things should be made correctly. The aftermarket suppliers are largely lacking in competence, and in some cases, scruples.

#5 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, don't touch magnum door steps, shockingly bad, they should be banned.

#6 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

The magnum panel I got was completely straight and was missing the curved sides

#7 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

No they are not completely straight. The flange where the skin wraps around is curved and you need to be careful here as some of them are too curved.

Looks like nearly everyone stocks Magnum I contacted an ebay seller and they said they are straight as well, so thing is which make was yours and where from? the one at minispares also looks like its Magnum from sticker on pic. Difficult to ask shops as last time asked about something like this minispares couldn't be bothered to reply and somerford said I was predantic!

#8 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

Not sure about later doors but the m machine bottoms for mk1 doors is a very good fit, see if they do one for later doors

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

Looks like nearly everyone stocks Magnum I contacted an ebay seller and they said they are straight as well, so thing is which make was yours and where from? the one at minispares also looks like its Magnum from sticker on pic. Difficult to ask shops as last time asked about something like this minispares couldn't be bothered to reply and somerford said I was predantic!

Mine were from M Machine and Minispares and they were all Magnum.. The boys on his doors that i fitted were really bad and i had to section them to remove the majority of the curve. I think i have one floating around the workshop so will have a look tomorrow.

I have made my own on my car and i made them straight to match my new door steps which again are not shop bought but made locally. There should be a curve, slight but they should be.

If you de skin a door you will see there is a curve. 

#10 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:04 AM

Mine were from M Machine and Minispares and they were all Magnum.. The boys on his doors that i fitted were really bad and i had to section them to remove the majority of the curve. I think i have one floating around the workshop so will have a look tomorrow.

I have made my own on my car and i made them straight to match my new door steps which again are not shop bought but made locally. There should be a curve, slight but they should be.

If you de skin a door you will see there is a curve. 

I am in process of re-skinning a door and yes your right there is a slight curve there, I was just wondering if there was any point buying one of these repair panels, sounds like not much as either completely flat or the curve will be hit and miss, so hopefully I'll be able to knock something up myself. But thanks for your help and everyone else who replied.

#11 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

Are magnum panels designed and pressed to be able to fit over the top of the original panels ? the doorstep I bought from them looks like it will fit over the rusty one

pete

#12 16vmini

16vmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Are magnum panels designed and pressed to be able to fit over the top of the original panels ? the doorstep I bought from them looks like it will fit over the rusty one

pete

yes some are , some arnt .. 

not exact science , just about to repair bottom of my doors this weekend, will be doing video of it , so keep eye open

#13 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'll post a picture when I get back from the workshop but the Magnum panel I have here has got a curve in it.

The pressings are not the best and always need work to get a decent finish.

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Ok here the fairly recent one i have and you can see the curve

IMG_7191_zpsmvqprxxz.jpg

IMG_7192_zpsdoiw7jkw.jpg

IMG_7193_zpsu8vk5e8m.jpg

I tried to define it against the other doors i have in the workshop but all of the bottoms are shot so no joy there.

#15 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

Ok here the fairly recent one i have and you can see the curve

I tried to define it against the other doors i have in the workshop but all of the bottoms are shot so no joy there.

We're on about two different panels here, but the same area. I'm on about link below has better picture than minispares. Which after asking sellers they confirm they are straight when there should be a curve, so just cheap repair panels. But good to know the ones your on about have the correct shape well possibly correct shape.

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=121346145106

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users