#1 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Hi all Seriously considering ordering one of these new kits from Stuart.

http://www.vmaxscart...percharger-kit/

i Have looked into both blow through and suck through systems. I like this setup because it combined to personal loves of mine webers and superchargers anbd looks like a relatively straight forward install. Although im not keen of the idea of sticking a low compression plate in (rather do it properly modified head and piston etc etc) i want to know how have other people got on with this kit?. Im not interested in horsepower i want torque and reliability. Stuarts been around for a long time so i can imagine there are many of his kits out there in use today. 

i would be grateful for any honest reviews of this setup cheers luke.

#2 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

i asked similar in September mate if its any help  http://www.theminifo...charger-fitted/

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

Chargers are fine, and they work well, but they tend to not be as good on fuel as turbo's, and also much harder to intercool, and in my opinion any forced induction engine should be intercooled.

your absolutely right in wanting to get the head/ pistons sorted rather than a decomp plate. and also Stu is good, Ive had head work done buy him and he's fine, but does get busy!

personally I would turbo, with somthing like a GT17 with a fusion fabs manifold will fit without body mods,  it will be very drivable and you can still expect 40+ mpg on a run.

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:25 AM

Water injection is a must for these kits!! makes a huge difference in power output...............

#5 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

I have noticed a big difference in drivablity using water injection. I've still got a bottle of methanol, unopened that I am scared to put in the mix. One day!

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Where's he even putting the cooler on that setup?  He's offering a chargecooler as part of it

You can't intercool a suck through system?

Edited by r3k1355, 22 February 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#7 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

On my VMAX s/c the intake manifold is water cooled and pumped into a small heat exchanger with a small fan. Its not cooling the charge like say a turbo intercooler, more cooling the body of the manifold and base of charger. 

Does not run off the main coolant, its got a small tank / pump.

Edited by maccers, 22 February 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

On my VMAX s/c the intake manifold is water cooled and pumped into a small heat exchanger with a small fan. Its not cooling the charge like say a turbo intercooler, more cooling the body of the manifold and base of charger. 

So a chargecooler then?

#9 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

So a chargecooler then?

No a proper chargecooler can effectively cool the air, it uses a fairly hefty radiator to dump the heat out of.

A water cooled manifold just isn't going to do anything much, maybe keep the base of the supercharger cool.

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

With a small fan? Sounds a little rudimentary and pointless. Has he got any figures for with and without? Would be interested to see.

#11 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Water injection is a good addition.

#12 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yep, its basically a small water jacket around the base of the charger where water is circulated and cooled with a small pump/radiator. I dont know how much difference it makes, everything is still pretty hot under the bonnet when running. 

#13 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

I have a post charger MAT sensor (not a vmax charger setup by the way) I ran tests on the rollers that showed a large drop in the inlet manifold (post charger) temps with a very simple setup that injected water at 5psi into the charger intake manifold (before the charger) we ran the car up at under 5 psi and soon saw the intake temps into the late 50 deg c. Water on, it was in the low to mid 40's running the car at a peak of 11.9psi. Without the water and running the car at 11-12psi I would say the temps would be way over 70 intact I have a vid of the car in the early days at 10psi with the exhaust white hot...

The only way to know is measure, if I was a betting man I would say that the water injection will be a much better bang for your buck!!! My system was home made and very simple using some easy to find parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users