8 replies to this topic

#1 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

I have always found that I have had an issue where I sling my spanners into my tool box drawer, mainly because when I want a specific size, I have to rifle through them to find what i need. I also have various other assorted tools that won't quite fit into the tool box so they usually get left on shelves, on the floor or hung up on the occasional nail in the rafters - far from ideal. What I needed to do was to put them somewhere easily accessible and ideally not take up anymore space.

My friend has put "shadow boards" up in his garage. He's drawn round each tool in black marker pen so when it's not there it's really easy to see. This in turn forces a messy bar steward with OCD like myself to tidy up after himself.

So, I armed myself with a couple of plywood pallet tops (a freebie), a can of paint left over from when the decorator was here (also a freebie), a paint roller (already had one) and a bucket load of screws and the occasional nail. Total cost: Less than a fiver. It's also had the added bonus of covering up the unused and broken window at the back of the garage - there's a chicken coop the other side so it's unlikely to be used anytime soon!

This needed covering and I needed somewhere to put my tools.

DSC_0320_zpsk0bi93hh.jpg

Add a couple of pallet tops...

DSC_0321_zpsskfkv3d6.jpg

...add a spoonful of English Trifle...

DSC_0322_zpshkswqjo6.jpg

Do a mock-up...

DSC_0323_zpshdnjgqdr.jpg

...and chuck it up on the wall.

DSC_0324_zpssukbbxh9.jpg

Finally, add a sprinkle of Sharpie markings. Finished!

Tool%20Wall%206_zpspkdxlpvj.jpg

I still need to make another one for screwdrivers, sockets and other tools, but that won't take long as I now know what I am doing. It works so well - and there are no spanners on my floor now!!

#2 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

You'll have muscles in your legs like BLUTO getting up and down for tools if you tend to work like me.

good job though,neat and tidy. (means you gotta put them back tho...and in place) ;D

#3 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

I did a similar thing for sockets and spanners ... Only issue I've found is that if I slam the garage door really hard some of them fall off the hooks!

Yours puts mine to shame ... Nice bit of work and much cheaper than a £800 rolling tool cabinet.

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Nice work!

For sockets you can get a strip of clips that hold maybe 10 or 12 by engaging with the square drive hole. Screw some of these on to your board, job done!

Sets of Halfords sockets on their own often come on strips like that.

#5 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

Nice work!

For sockets you can get a strip of clips that hold maybe 10 or 12 by engaging with the square drive hole. Screw some of these on to your board, job done!

Already way ahead of you Tiger - 6 sets on order - hopefully arriving today! Andthanks for all your comments too!

Edited by MrBounce, 04 February 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#6 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Very nice!

The English trifle makes all the difference too.

As for sockets, I bought one of these https://www.amazon.c...rds=socket rail for my sockets which goes in the top of my toolbox.

Perhaps you could have got one to hang on the wall by it's handle.

That way, you could lift the whole thing down off the wall with all the sockets on to save having to get up and down when you require multiple size sockets.

Just a thought.

Ben

#7 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Got the second part up tonight. This one's mainly for sockets, ratchets & screwdrivers plus other assorted gubbins. Apologies for the slightly poor picture - I only had my phone at the time and it's not the greatest for photos. More pics once this part's been finished.

Tool%20Wall%207_zpsy3axcsw0.jpg

#8 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Almost finished - just need to get the Sharpie out and mark what's what. Not bad for a few evenings' work and total cost of about a fiver.  :D

Tool%20Wall%208_zpstzw0uxwg.jpg

#9 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Spent a while this weekend doing that most tedious of tasks: Marking up the socket sizes as well as doing some of the outlines. Can't do the valve spring compressor as it's in the boot and going to my friend's garage next week. Still a bit more of the tedious stuff left to do plus I need to find somewhere to put my new grease gun! 

Tool%20Wall%209_zpsxbyqotvt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users