Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

I knew this was coming -

http://www.telegraph...-cut-emissions/

DERV vehicles will get £xpensive to run soon

it's weird they are talking about old diesels - as the new ones seem worse , smoking & clattering like mad

dpf problems are killing newer cars + timing chains on the rear of engine made of chocolate

I was told at college (80's) that diesel fumes were carcinogenic , but the info was kept hidden for decades

It's all a bit ironic , that the diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil , not mineral oil

but it's easier to tax something that comes out of the ground , than what is farmed on top

also anyone noticed how lorries sound smoother , than , say a 3 year old BMW / VAG / Vauxhall diesel ?

wonder if the HHO gas generators will come into play to clean up emissions - they do work 

BMW are already using water injection to clean up

#2 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

ive got an 03 vw golf tdi which is probably the exact type of car these scrappage schemes would target! Trouble is I bought it 3-4 years ago because it was cheap to buy and very cheap to run and I'm doing a lot of miles mainly commuting to work. If I was forced to a petrol car due to rising tax/fuel cost I seriously doubt I could actually afford to do the miles I am and would seriously have to consider changing jobs!

what these idiots forget is that the emissions dont just come from the tail pipe, youve still got to make new cars and theres bound to be problems with running out of battery making materials and they are well known to be toxic and harmful to extract and refine.

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

youve still got to make new cars and theres bound to be problems with running out of battery making materials and they are well known to be toxic and harmful to extract and refine.

battery cars are a waste of time at the moment - more pollution than a small petrol , esp to produce them & replace batterys

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

Oh dear, I have a 2007 BMW 730D which is my normal road car and a 1997 Land-Rover Discovery 300Tdi which I use for towing trailers and as a 'van' for transporting bits of Minis and other classics. I guess I could sell the Discovery and replace it with a petrol V8 version or a similarly-aged Range-Rover and I shall continue to use the BMW because it is such a beautiful road car; smooth, quick and superbly comfortable with 2000 rpm in top giving an 84 mph cruise and almost 40 mpg. 

So after the Gov't telling us to buy diesel cars, they are now telling us not to. Bloody typical.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Hang on - if it is like previous scrappage schemes it will only apply when buying a brand new car. Which, in a couple of months will be more expensive to tax......

Who wins in this one I wonder.

Also, even 10 year old Diesels still retain quite good value - I very much doubt they would ever offer enough to tempt people out of them.  What was it last time £2k if it had an MoT?

I'd be wanting £7k plus to give up my 2010 Golf!!  And I'm sure Cooperman wouldn't let his beemer go for peanuts 

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

In addition to a classic Mini and a petrol R50 MINI  I have a BMW 320D which is great to drive and has superb fuel economy but I hate being stuck in traffic behind any diesel vehicle now breathing in the fumes and as the diesels age and become 'cheap bangers' the pollution seems to get worse.

The AA, said: “Some drivers will feel betrayed and misled because they were encouraged to go for the dash for diesel. In the 1990s there was a near hysteria about carbon dioxide, and yet nobody looked at the bigger picture. The drivers thought they were doing the right thing, but now they are being told that it has serious health implications. They are being made to feel guilty for something that they were encouraged to do.

In 2001, Gordon Brown, the then chancellor, overhauled vehicle excise duty so that cars that emitted a higher level of carbon dioxide faced a higher level of vehicle excise duty.

Labour introduced the new regime despite official warnings that diesel vehicles emit “10 times the fine particles and up to twice the nitrogen dioxide”.

The move prompted a “profound” shift towards diesel cars, which produce lower levels of carbon dioxide because they are about 20 per cent more efficient than petrol engines.

Over the past decade, the number of diesel cars on Britain’s roads has risen from 1.6 million to more than 11 million and accounts for a third of vehicles.

However, diesel vehicles produce high levels of nitrogen dioxide, which can lead to respiratory disease and has been linked to 7,000 deaths a year.

Frank Kelly, the chairman of the Department of Health’s committee on air pollution, said the public were still being misled about the benefits of diesel cars.

He said: “I have full sympathy with the public who have not been provided balanced information on this issue. Even today if you go to buy a new car you are provided with lots of information about its CO2 emissions and nothing in respect to the pollutants it emits. The whole scenario is a very good example of why government policy needs to founded on best science available – not just one aspect, as it was in this case.”

http://www.telegraph...-pollution.html

Edited by mab01uk, 04 February 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

Who gains in the 'scrappage' scheme? The Gov't are the only winners.

The owner gets a nominal sum for his/her old car, say £2000. They then buy a new car with a £2000 discount which depreciates by over £2000 the minute they drive it down the road. The price they pay is full retail less the allowance, but they could have got up to £1500 off the new car for cash with no trade in, so they really only got £500 allowance. However, they could have sold their old car for a nominal sum, say £500 on average.

But, of course, they pay the full VAT etc, which goes straight to the treasury who are the winners and the loser - that's right, the original owner of the old car..

In any other transaction this bad it would be called a 'con'.

#8 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

It's the usual conflicting information again

70's go to work on an egg

80's eggs got salmonella

90's eggs bad cholesterol

00's eggs good for you

pick a subject , & wait for the conflicting evidence to turn up from the professionals 

if fat good for you or bad for you , this week ?

sugar is now bad - bet sweeteners will be bad next week

we don't stand a chance with these paid professionals , spouting off conclusions they are paid to come to

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

The AA, said: “Some drivers will feel betrayed and misled because they were encouraged to go for the dash for diesel. In the 1990s there was a near hysteria about carbon dioxide, and yet nobody looked at the bigger picture. The drivers thought they were doing the right thing, but now they are being told that it has serious health implications. They are being made to feel guilty for something that they were encouraged to do...

Ignoring the fact that they were also getting cheaper VED compared to petrol engine vehicles. Its also one of the reasons a neighbour has just recently scrapped a 17 year old petrol Vectra estate under the Vauxhall 2k scrapage scheme and replaced it with a Astra diesel, as the road tax is cheaper.

But then I might be bitter paying £140 a year for a 32 year old mini that really gets used, where as someone else with a modern diesel is paying half that and doing 10x more miles. If VED really was a 'green' or based on 'emissions' scrap it and put it on the fuel, that way if you drive more or use more fuel, you pay more.

#10 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

All these complaints about in town pollution, mostly from unchecked buses.

#11 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Folks - Its only Euro 1-3 that they are talking about (pre 2000) so dont get too excited!  :lol:

#12 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

One fact I found to be funny was that Bournemouth is one of the key cities being targeted to reduced pollution... Why?
Because the majority of the harmful fumes and pollutants are coming from the vast number of ships and sail up the channel. Nothing to do with cars and buses as all

#13 Plank

Plank

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Plus another city centre source of diesel pollutants that is not mentioned.  Trains. 

Where are most stations - in the middle of the town.

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

Well if the Government insist I will trade in my old Diesel rotbox for a new Focus RS :D

Saving the plant!

#15 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

I'm way ahead of you guys gone super green for the past 6 years with 3 litre petrol bmws

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users