#16 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

One fact I found to be funny was that Bournemouth is one of the key cities being targeted to reduced pollution... Why?
Because the majority of the harmful fumes and pollutants are coming from the vast number of ships and sail up the channel. Nothing to do with cars and buses as all

Interesting bit on the radio a bit back about allowing cruise liners to dock in Greenwich. They can get through about 150 tonnes of diesel a day as they're effectively floating power stations. Dunno currently how many diesel cars there are in London (somewhere just short of a million is likely), but odds on one cruise ship can out pollute the lot of them!

#17 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Yeh they are probably running on high Sulphur diesel as well  :lol:  :lol:

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

I might trade my BMW 730D in for a 750i SE V8 petrol. Those big BMW V8's are superb and even quicker than my 730D

#19 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yeh they are probably running on high Sulphur diesel as well  :lol:  :lol:

yes I'm pretty sure they run on not much more the crude oil! Certainly its not what we put in our tanks. Another thing I noticed the other day was that new diesel engines seem to smell more and give you a tickle in the back of the throat. We have some major road works behind work at the moment and most of the diggers and bulldozers look to be 5+ years old and while you can certainly smell diesel in the air and see black smoke come out every time they rev up its not an u pleasant or choking smell where as buses which are only a few years old at most you want to get away from asap!.

#20 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Just been reading an article in one of the trade magazines! headed 

The decline of Diesel! a paragraph from it,How ever, in reality, some

of the new high power,small capacity petrol engines are producing

higher levels of particulates and NOx than some diesels, but this

information has yet to be publicly released.

Personally have owned and driven Diesel cars for 25+ years and 

like them, also worked in the workshop of a large construction firm

we had a fleet of about 300+ diesels! all the trucks we had also had

AdBlue , urina (pigs p*ss) which cleans exhaust?? they say that the exhaust

is cleaner than the air going in .

current daily BMW MINI 1600 Diesel and if the tailpipe is anything to go by

its as shinny inside as outside !! + 2 Classic minis 

#21 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

Yeh thats the problem with the press, they just tarnish all diesels with the same brush.  The latest EU6 diesels are incredibly clean!!

Thats also why petrols are now being fitted with exhaust filters (GPF) as the latest diesels are actually cleaner....

#22 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

I know this was covered by someone before but it is utterly ridiculous how they told us all to buy diesels, they are cleaner than ever,low VED, excellent MPG etc. and now we are being told no, they are bad and they are the biggest offenders. 

The nail was hit on the head earlier. The government has realised that since it changed the VED rates a few years back, people have been more concerned about saving a few quid and as such the total income has gone down a lot more than they were expecting. This is why we have seen the revised rates for newly registered cars from this April. Another scrapple scheme would simply be pointing people to get a new car thus allowing the government to manipulate the market somewhat and rake in extra pounds. 

Pretty disgraceful really but people seem to love their brand new cars these days for some reason. I think 2016 saw the most new cars registered ever, although most of these are on PCP and other such finance deals anyway. 

God bless the gullible public. 

#23 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

And see how much vat there is on each new car. Straight to the treasury too!

#24 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

Pretty disgraceful really but people seem to love their brand new cars these days for some reason. I think 2016 saw the most new cars registered ever, although most of these are on PCP and other such finance deals anyway. 

God bless the gullible public. 

Most car buyers today no longer aim to own their new car outright, they just want a monthly payment they can afford and when the 3 year warranty is up they are encouraged by the dealer to upgrade and buy the latest new vehicle with a similar monthly payment to continue. Similar marketing in many ways to how people now upgrade their phones on a regular basis......it also keeps the car manufacturers busy!

#25 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

This is completely and utterly the preparation for another tax grab. No more and no less. But just to clarify some points above:

1. Gordon Brown first stimulated growth of, and then increased the tax on DERV and diesel cars because they allegedly were a bigger health hazard than petrol, while the EU took a different view and encouraged diesel.

2. It has been shown that trains emit far less pollutants than lorries or buses in proportion to the amount of people moved. Electrification deals with that one eventually anyway, despite recent wilfully bungled attempts.

Now with that out of the way I will point out that even now, the diesel engine has had far less development than the petrol engine, although the gap is narrowing. Economics and fuel consumption favour the diesel massively. If the demand for diesel falls, the refinery output has to be re-balanced with more catalytic cracking to make lighter hydrocarbons, so the fuel price rises, along with spurious by-products of the cracking process that have undesirable toxic effects.

I think that someone has already mentioned buses as a source of pollution. Clearly in London, many of the buses do not comply with the law, having very visible exhaust smoke. Why is that allowed to continue? It is quite a long term and major violation of the law, so why was not Boris or his predecessor Red Ken, up in court over it?

The other source of dangerous pollution in London is motorbikes. Stupid, archaic engines that can't idle properly, have poor low-down torque, extremely high fuel consumption in relation to the vehicle mass,  and very peaky power at high revs, which is inappropriate but what the marketing spivs decide that the customer must have. Get behind a few of those in heavy traffic and you are immediately choking on unburned hydrocarbons, from unleaded fuel, due to the pathetically inefficient engines, some of which are highly carcinogenic.

The modern diesel cars in comparison are utterly insignificant, and the older ones scarcely significant. It is the usual political cycle of stimulate a demand, and once people are hooked, find a strong objection to justify taxing it. That is all it is. It is Gordon Brown all over again. Taxing diesel will be highly inflationary as it will increase the cost of everything, as it did last time.

#26 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

The other source of dangerous pollution in London is motorbikes. Stupid, archaic engines that can't idle properly, have poor low-down torque, extremely high fuel consumption in relation to the vehicle mass,  and very peaky power at high revs, which is inappropriate but what the marketing spivs decide that the customer must have. Get behind a few of those in heavy traffic and you are immediately choking on unburned hydrocarbons, from unleaded fuel, due to the pathetically inefficient engines, some of which are highly carcinogenic.

how very dare you? Leave my '95 zxr750 out of this! :lol:

#27 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Oh, so it was YOU who left me gasping for breath the other day!

😡

#28 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

He probably took the cat off  :lol:  :lol:  :gimme:

#29 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now