16 replies to this topic

#1 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

Has anyone ever heard of retrofitting Isofix to a mini? The wife is looking at new car seats for our boys and wants Isofix ones to fit our Touareg- this won't be any good in the mini however. Any ideas?

#2 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

Interested to hear what people say about this, i've thought this too. I would bet its easy enough to do but the anchor points would need to be inspected?

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

Speak to carlos_w.

He was doing something like this in his Mini although i am unsure what happened in the end.

Ill point him this way

#4 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Ta muchly. From what I can see, on modern cars with the bolt holes and captive nuts it's easy to get hold of the correct bracket. I wonder if the captive nuts could be replicated in order to fit an existing bracket?

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

I think the biggest thing here is incorporating enough strength into these mounting points. Also the positioning of them.

#6 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

I bought an isofix bar from a Clio (I think) which I was going to bolt to the seatbelt captive nuts which have been seal welded.

She's 2.5 now and in all reality she'll probably be driving by the time the thing is finished

#7 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

My brother did this to both his minis, got the isofix plate from an audi I think, will ask him tomorrow if you're interested in details.

Ben

Sorry, parts where from a Ford.

Edited by MacGyver, 05 February 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#8 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

My brother did this to both his minis, got the isofix plate from an audi I think, will ask him tomorrow if you're interested in details.
Ben
Sorry, parts where from a Ford.

Yes please! I wouldn't be able to use the seatbelt nuts as the seats we will use will use the original seat belts. Much appreciated chaps!

#9 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Well, it would seem my brother didn't take any pictures when he fitted them...

But when I sent him a message he went out in the middle of the night to take picture of what was visible.

So he did two versions, one bolted and one welded (grey car is welded, blue is bolted), the two are virtually the same and use two Ford Isofix bars per seat.

One is put in front in the correct position on the front of the rear seat bulkhead (obviously) and the second is put  upside-down inside the boot with the anchors chopped off.

He said that in the bulkhead there where factory holes that where unused and in the perfect position and didn't interfere with the seatbelt anchors in anyway (he needs belts for his child seats too). I looked inside my girlfriends 2000Cooper but didn't find those holes, both his cars are 79 1100Specials with added rear seatbelts (same anchors as later models).

Attached File  DSC_1781.JPG   46.22K   45 downloads

He can't remember the part number of the anchors but I think the picture bellow is the same one.

Attached File  IMG_9743.JPG   32.18K   37 downloads

The ford model has the right shape for the ridges on the bulkhead funnily enough...

You will need some long nuts and bolts too. (not sure they come with the Isofix)

The one inside the boot could probably be replaced with a thick plate with bolts welded on but by using two you know its in the right position.

Attached File  IMG_9746.jpg   64.82K   58 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9744.jpg   58.3K   46 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9745.jpg   84.49K   47 downloads

Here you can see what it looks like with the normal seats. (excuse the girl crumbs)

Attached File  IMG_9750.jpg   42.03K   38 downloads

and a peek at the Isofix clamps. (the bolt is just to hold the back plate in place)

Attached File  IMG_9747.jpg   74.9K   39 downloads Attached File  IMG_9749.jpg   60.44K   33 downloads

and the end result with an extra at the front. :thumbsup:

Attached File  sketch-1486327458381.png   524.66K   51 downloads

He said he would try to get the back seat out to have a better picture of the fixing but with 3 kids and a house to finish (and other things) its a bit difficult. I will update this thread when I have some anyways.

He also said that the kid seats look out of line with the mini seat trim, but they are perfectly stable and pass with ease a Swiss mot...

Both methods are reliable but the welded in method is cleaner I think. And if you are welding them in you might want to consider getting the retractable seat belt winder system (if not already in place) while you are at it as it makes putting in and out the child seats easier.

DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE PETROL AND THE TANK BEFORE WELDING!

The mini seat being so thin, you will need a piece of foam between the mini seat and the kid seat to stop it 'rattling'.

If I am unclear in anyway, please tell me, I'll try to clarify.

PS: My brother hopes he will inspire someone to do as he has and maybe pass-on to they're children or grand-children the love of mini's and classic cars!

Ben

Edited by MacGyver, 06 February 2017 - 07:32 PM.

#10 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

That's absolutely brilliant, thank you very much! Thank your brother for me also, I'll be copying his idea entirely! We need a button for "super-like".

#11 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Will do!

He also said that if you don't have holes, it's sort of like having the base of the seat in without the back and then you put the Isofix on the child seat and then you can get the height right and align with the ridge's.

Don't hesitate to ask for more info if you need some, quite happy to help!

Ben

#12 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Perfect, thanks!

#13 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Just a little complement of photos... 

Attached File  IMG_9815.jpg   72.61K   36 downloads Attached File  IMG_9816.jpg   52.77K   28 downloads Attached File  IMG_9817.jpg   73.74K   23 downloads

In This one you can see he drilled a hole on each side so the seat back will slot in.

Attached File  _20170228_065739.JPG   69.1K   30 downloads

Didn't see it myself as I've been busy at work, but he sent me these pictures and thought it would be useful.

Ben

#14 Rob Gavin

Rob Gavin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

the isofix will only be of significant use while you are using the straps.  Once they go up to using the 3 point belt, the isofix becomes a little irrelevant.  Most decent seats will allow you to use both - I know our Recaro and Jane seats can be used with either a 3 point belt or isofix.

One bit of advice would be make sure you get the breakaway isofix;  they allow the seat to move sideways in case of side impact

#15 GreenFrog

GreenFrog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 09:04 AM

I'm quite interested in this topic, but I Wonder how you managed to mount the Top Tether.
My car does not have any rear seat belts and a MK1 rear Screen as Well. So the optional mounting plates would News some seriuos Modifikation

So does anyone have child seats with Isofix and top Tether in a Saloon mounted?

Any answer would Help! Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users