#47 slack

slack

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:47 PM

Hello Jake,

I have a 1.6 vauxhall and i want to go to allspeed build like you.

Can you please tell me the parts that i need from the donor car? thanks

#48 Jamiestevens94

Jamiestevens94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Minis

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:29 PM

Hi Jake,

Great thread build and love the conversion!

Just wanted to ask a question...how are you finding the gear ratios with the 10" wheels? I am currently running an e16se in my clubman on 12" wheels and would like to go to 10s but worried about the ratios as it seems quite a step already with what I'm currently running.

Thanks!

#49 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hello Jake,

Have sent you a message

Hi Jake,

Just wanted to ask a question...how are you finding the gear ratios with the 10" wheels? I am currently running an e16se in my clubman on 12" wheels and would like to go to 10s but worried about the ratios as it seems quite a step already with what I'm currently running.

Thanks!

It's a little more revy but not too bad, couple hundred rpm more at 70. 10's use a taller tyre than 12's so overall radius isn't that much smaller. I wouldn't go back to 12's!

#50 Jamiestevens94

Jamiestevens94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Minis

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hello Jake,

Have sent you a message

Hi Jake,

Thanks!

It's a little more revy but not too bad, couple hundred rpm more at 70. 10's use a taller tyre than 12's so overall radius isn't that much smaller. I wouldn't go back to 12's!

Thanks for the response! Looks like I'll be heading to 10s once these tyres come to the end of their life!

#51 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

Small update with a slight change of plan, built E16SE engine is now up for sale.

Got one of these to go on.

2-BA9-E8-A9-4293-4102-B88-B-61-F02-DE5-D
93-F84-E76-D060-48-F2-8-AC7-7-FD49-DDE6-

#52 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

Well done on building a cracking little car there. You’ve made some pretty decent choices regards colour, wheels and other supporting modifications and it sure looks the part.

I had a C16SE a few years ago and they’re a cracking little motor. The inlet manifold is very restrictive from what I remember and bike carbs can produce a fair bit more power. My old frame was self built for the small block and you can fit the X18XE1 from early mk4 Astra’s and zafiras.

Good luck with the project. There is/was a 1600 Turbo Vauxhall’s on the turbo minis forum.

#53 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

Was not possible to fit the turbo on the end of the standard exhaust manifold so will be using a log manifold. Made from exhaust flange from Ashley Exhausts, they were happy to sell me just a flange and some pipe from Dave Fab. Also using a T3 to T2 adapter, t3 end cut off and welded to manifold.

To lower the compression ratio I have a cometic head gasket, standard thickness is 1.27mm this is 2.18mm (0.089") should drop compression ratio from 9.8 to about 8.9, if my calculations are correct.

Intercooler wise, a normal air to air wouldn't fit so I am going for a water to air set up also known as a charge cooler. Got a Bosch 0392022002 water pump, some hose off amazon (is clear so will need a nice colour coolant), a barrel charge cooler from AliExpress and huge Mishimoto transmission cooler for the rad.

From what I've read these types of coolers are best over something like a small motorbike rad, coolant rads are designed to cool from almost boiling to much less than that but never close to ambient which is what you want intake temps to be. The water in a charge cooler setup is never that hot so coolant rads are not very effective. If you look at the fins on a charge cooler rad they are much finer more like a oil cooler, but the only ones you can buy are massive (and expensive). I read a book called Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell and it has a calculation for rad and pump size, this should be about right. Also saw a video on YouTube where someone used a much smaller trans cooler on a MX5 and it worked well.

Still need to get a reservoir tank and maybe a fan. This should all fit in the engine bay.

If I've got anything wrong please let me know.

618-AE286-E556-4-A7-B-A760-636-A8-E4-F73
80-E50-BCC-0-F5-D-48-DE-AB7-C-FCF8-DD1-F
2652-ECBF-C135-43-BD-B738-922030-CD1658.

#54 Zabka

Zabka

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: YMMOC

Posted 11 June 2020 - 06:36 AM

Hi Jake,

I'm new to the forum and just catching up on your build. It looks great.

Any updates?

I have a C16Se Turbo myself, Ive run it without a charge cooler for ten years now but that is my next job on the list.

You'll be pleased to know charging the engine makes a huge difference,  bags of torque and great fun to drive.

David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users