Photo
- - - - -

Looking For Tips For A Complete Beginner!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thewizard99

thewizard99

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hi

So i'am a complete beginner in looking to do up a old Mini. Looking for some starting tips, directions to research, parts,tools etc. Anything to help me get going before i take the plunge and dive in the deep end. 

Looking forward to the responses.

Thanks

Chris

#2 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Welcome to TMF you've come to the right place!

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

Worth getting a copy of this book below as a start.

Haynes Restoration Manual

Dubbed 'Car of the Century' the evergreen Mini, with its spares availability, unrivalled economy and usability, is the ideal restorer's car. This book - covering all models including the Mini-Cooper - details how to renovate bodywork; renew interiors; give new life to mechanical and electrical components including engine overhaul and suspension subframe renewal; and modify the car for improved performance and appearance, including engine swaps and wider wheels. The text, supported with nearly 900 illustrations, chronicles the history of the Mini, and advises how to find a good example for purchase.
http://www.haynes.co.../...1&langId=-1

Edited by mab01uk, 13 February 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#4 thewizard99

thewizard99

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Mab01uk! Ordered!

#5 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Carefully calculate your budget, & then triple it. Also calculate how long it will take you and triple that too!

But most of all, don't be afraid to have a go. I have done so much that I have never done before and not only do I love it, but I also get an amazing sense of achievement out of it. And even more importantly, NEVER be afraid to ask questions or for help.

#6 thewizard99

thewizard99

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

Carefully calculate your budget, & then triple it. Also calculate how long it will take you and triple that too!

First thing im doing is making a sign of that for the workshop!

#7 smev

smev

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: P&S MOC

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

I found the MiniSpares AKM manual very handy, also I recommend researching the actual car itself there are a couple of basic features you need to know what's in it as you're ordering parts. The standard haynes manual is pretty much useless - it presumes you know everything already and gives directions far too vague - the figures and diagrams are acceptable though so if you find one cheap grab it. I'm guessing the restoration manual is better!

It really helped me joining a club too. You've come to a good place for help though, you'll find at least one person here for every problem experienced :lol:

#8 thewizard99

thewizard99

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hey smev, dont have a link to that Manual do you. Cant seem to find it. Thanks

#9 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Basic maintenance helpfully covered by Lindsay Porter in his Mini Maintenance Manual. Might be out of print but normally surfaces on eBay. And the Haynes Manual of course. Get some decent Imperial ratchet spanners and socket set, a quality torque wrench, some axle stands and go for it! You can pick up the remaining tools along the way.

Edited by MatthewsDad, 14 February 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#10 smev

smev

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: P&S MOC

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hey smev, dont have a link to that Manual do you. Cant seem to find it. Thanks

http://www.minispare...assic/AKM2.aspx

it is basically a compilation of all their manual pages also viewable on their site.

#11 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Yea a Haynes manual is a must. And you sort of become good at mechanics as you always have to do some kind of maintenance job on them, so you just develop over time.

#12 babsbrown

babsbrown

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Machine mart seem to do reasonably priced tools too and they're good quality

#13 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

I highly recommend getting one of the Halfords Professional kits, I have the 200 piece one and it's excellent. Both metric and imperial (more metric than imperial however) but it's a great starter kit and all has a lifetime guarantee! They are on a half price deal quite often too.

Haynes manual is definitely handy, as are the minispares parts diagrams (other sites also have variations on these diagrams, the Somerford ones are also good).

#14 lapider

lapider

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: cardiff mini club

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Id recommend buying some common hand tools, stuff like socket sets, screwdrivers, spanners, etc. 

Then when you need to do a specific jobs, buy any additional tools that you need to do a good job. 

In terms of quality its good to buy the best that you can afford, if you can't afford much its better to buy second hand good brands from the likes of eBay than buying new substandard brands. poor tools end up doing more damage than good, you round bolts and get yourself into a right pickle. 

Do a bit of research on here or on in a Haynes manual before doing work. 

Top tips; if your working on rusty bolts, a small wire brush, a can of penetrating fluid, and the right size AF/ Imperial socket will be allot easier. 

#15 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

A decent set of car ramps and a nice piece of carpet to rest on as you'll be spending some time on your back under it. Most of the threaded bolts and nuts will be UNC or UNF so sockets and spanners in AF sizes are a must. Previous owners may have replaced original nuts and bolts with metric so be aware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users