4 replies to this topic

#1 minimaster13

minimaster13

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

my rear gutter along with every other mini in the world has rusted away, what have you done left it and painted it cut it off etc ?

cheers 

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

Piccies maybe?

It is holding the roof on, so you can't really just cut it off. The rust does need arresting though. Chip off as much crustiness as possible and dose it up with a phosphoric acid based rust curer. 

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

On Wills Mini Special I cut out the damaged sections, fabricated new pieces and welded them in.

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

I replaced some of my gutter as above, think I used some 8mm dia bar to help get the shape,

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

As it is so common, the spares suppliers really ought to make a repair section. I have not seen one as yet. Maybe if enough people ask... They make other, less common repair sections,and some of them even fit tolerably well. It is all about supply and demand, and they have not spotted the demand.

Meanwhile they will be glad to take your money for a roof and/or rear panel. Sometimes you do need to change these, but not for loaalised rust like this. A bit like changing the entire floor assembly because there is a small hole in one sill.

It was the first place my third Mini started to seriously rust. At that point the A panels, inner wings, sills etc were all perfect. The reason is that I was able to comprehensively Waxoyl the other known problem areas, but I am not sure how to do similar at the roof edge. At least with new metal you can have plenty of weld - through zinc primer in the joint to deter future corrosion.

Please let us know how you get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users