5 replies to this topic

#1 Ado1379

Ado1379

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

So guys I bought my 2nd mini about 3 weeks ago and apart from having a load of problems to fix the last one is the lighting problem I have...

Sidelights are permanently on. Everything else works perfectly but the first stage of the 3 position headlamp switch does nothing.
If I disconnect the Green/White wire from the fuse box (I'm assuming this is for indicators as I have no Haynes manual with me) the sidelights go out and the 3 position headlight switch works perfectly fine, however, with all lights off I have no indicators and no windscreen wipers. As soon as I put my sidelights in (via the switch) I get indicators and windscreen wipers.
I'm assuming the indicators and windscreen wipers share the same 12v feed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if someone could try and upload a picture for a wiring diagram for a 1991 mini city 998 that would also help.
I'm an avionics engineer by trade so no need to dumb down on terminology 😊

#2 ger

ger

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local Club: M4 Minis

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

Found these on the Mini Mania site. might be of use to you.

http://www.minimania...iagrams_On_Line

Ger

#3 Ado1379

Ado1379

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

I have one of these printed out and laminated which is what I'm following, but the wiring doesn't add up haha

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

When you have circuits being powered by something like yours where the sidelights are powering the indicators and wipers, I usually check the back of the fusebox to ensure its not corrosion linking the rear contact riveted connections, if its not that then its a case of out with meter and tracing the circuits, have a quick look at the terminals behind the grill those bullets are famous for effecting what works or finds another path to earth if dirty, but I can't see the wipers being effected by those.

If all the above looks ok then I would pull the connections off the circuits and check the feeds and earths with the wiring diagram, and back track to the connectors inside the car. Not unusual to find now that the amateur electricians have cut into other circuits when power is lost on the original feed, I just did a MGB where the whole interior was wired in Blue thin wall wiring, including the earths !

#5 Ado1379

Ado1379

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

i think your right, I can always cut my losses and just re-wore the indicators part of the loom at work. I may find the cause whilst I'm ripping the old wiring out.
It me just small things that lead me to think it's not been connected properly though. For instance when I bought the car, the water temp wasn't connected and the wire had been snipped and tied away. Also the oil pressure switch wasn't connected and wire had been connected to the + side of the ignition coil?
I'm all for trying to better yourself by learning how to do things but why do some people just live with the 'that will do for now' attitude haha

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:14 PM

Once you've done it you have the satisfaction of knowing its done right, and the reliability it brings, just shout if you need any help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users